Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Eastern Regional Coordinator
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Well the old 1.4 spi 8v lump in the Astra is on its last legs, so its time for an upgrade. I'm planning the fit a 1.6 8v mpi engine from a Cav, but i'd like to know what engine mods are avaible. First job will be lightening the flywheel and adding a de-cat pipe to my stainless system, but then not sure.

Couple of questions i have:

Whats the better option induction kit with cold air feed, or panel filter with drilled standard air box?
I am also wanting to change the cams and pullies to add some more power and torque, what versions are best to go for and what other mods should i take into consideration?

Any help and advice appricated.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I would go with the performance panel filter and standard box mate, with a nice cold air feed from the grill or bumper into the box. :)
it works better than an induction kit as it keeps cold air in,and hot air out.
Then a full exhaust system and de-cat.

As from there, it depends how far you want to go with cam, headwork etc.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I have a very cheap turbo conversion option for 1.6 8V engine, that uses the standard exhaust manifold only with a plate to adapt the T2 turbocharger in this. But need be a car without power steering and without aircon.
Or if you want, i have a high perfomance turbo kit for 1.6 8V with aftermarket high flow tubular carbon steel manifold with T3 series turbocharger. ;)

In most cases, the turbo conversion is more cheap solution for increase the power in low cubic capacity engines.

and why you don´t put a C20NE(2.0 8V) in this?

Cheers and good lucky!

Matheus S. Almeida

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
99% sure cavaliers never had a 1.6mpi. only the 82bhp carb version and 72bhp spi version.

dont stick another spi in there !!

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
0ddball said:
99% sure cavaliers never had a 1.6mpi. only the 82bhp carb version and 72bhp spi version.

dont stick another spi in there !!
Yeah, i think i am the other 1% sure.
As already said run away from spi.
Get a 1600 carb engine, and some twin 40s, that'll be nice :):)
And will sound cool :D
Then get a nice cam to compliment the 40's, summit like a piper 285, although i ain't an expert on cams.

·
Eastern Regional Coordinator
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was looking at a mpi engine, if not the cav a astra would have one. would prefer the injection over carbs and wanna stick with n/a power. any ideas on internal mods and possible bhp figures?

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
i was gonna say, if you're swapping engines, get the 1600 16v, same transplant as the block is the same, just more power and more tuning options, might be more expensive than an 8v but will be the better choice in the end

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just to echo what others have said, go for a 1.6 16v if you can find and afford one! The 1.6 8v will be the same as the Nova GSI engine I would have thought. Loads of bits available for this engine, a cam and pulley will give you 6-8bhp, then a chip give about 10-15% increase, get a decent manifold too should add another few!

The 1.6 8v is mean't to be a great engine to turbo and takes really well!

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
the max you'll get from an 8v is around the 165 bhp mark though, and thats a full monty race engine with high comp pistons, tbs, solid lifters etc etc, you can get 150 from the 16v just by fitting the tbs and rod bolts :cool:

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
GlasgowRob said:
redtop throttle bodies no more needs to be said :)
maybe not, but alot more work would need to be done to fit it...

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
yeah, i spose it is, shame really, small block novas rock!

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
best off with the 1600 16v lump :)

pick them up for peanuts (well a few hundred and once you change the inlet with its 7feet of ducting your ontoa a winner straigh off

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
i know lmao

<<<<<<-----------

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
but shhh cant diss the mighty XE :) even when they have 160k on the clock and are giving out death rattles they still make 156 brake :) lol

and my poor lowly ecotec'd cav would be mullered even with headwork cams decat stainless system and a unichip :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
LongLiveTheNova said:
Yeah, i think i am the other 1% sure.
As already said run away from spi.
Get a 1600 carb engine, and some twin 40s, that'll be nice :):)
And will sound cool :D
Then get a nice cam to compliment the 40's, summit like a piper 285, although i ain't an expert on cams.
trouble with getting the car's version of the 1.6 is that you get a rubish head. The 1.6 Mpi (E16SE/C16SE) had big valves and much better inlet design.

i'm pretty sure the carb version has square inlets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts