Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stuck on what to do!!

1- Buy a LET, rebuild and will run eds phase 2 - 270 bhp!
2- SBD tp208 kit and internal work on my engine for 210 bhp!

Mostly A and B road driving, not much dual carriageway and motorway apart from odd trip to southend and car shows and meets!
5-10k miles a year and needs to be reliable, as cars parked for 2-4 weeks at a time and then needed for a weekend etc!!

Let - sounds nice, but hassles of fitting the FMIC, being so cluttered and tight in the engine bay, turbo hassles, traction problems, and cost of buying and rebuilding the LET engine

TB's - sound is amazing, the traction is improoved, i know i have a rebuilt and strong engine but head work and some bottom end work is a must, running mappable ecu with the 208 kit. No worries on FMIC, but cold start problems and fuel economy???

Any help please guys!!

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
oh ffs not starting another let vs TB's thread are we lol

how many pages will this one run too :)

shoulda put a poll in :)

my monies with carbs just to be different

cheaper option too :)

C20XE with a set of webers on the side cams and headwork bottom end work and your laughing :)
oh and it will be a mofo lot cheaper too allowing you to spend money elsewhere

if it were my money i'd be putting carbs on it

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah i had carbs on my nova, 1.3 sr! That flied but used to run lumpy, drank petrol and was off the road more than it was on the road!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want peoples opinions on my situation, what spec they have and the costs involved to get to that spec.
Im only 19, 20 soon so insurance on phase 2 let may have adrian flux laughing!!

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
you have just open'd the tin again

from me a die hard tb's man
my 2p

if you want a fast car and want to spend loads of money on it tb it
if you want a faster car and to spend less money on it turbo it

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well 3k is the budget really, still a bloody student!!

What would be advisable to do after the tp208 kit??
how much is the management and fitting?
As i would like to do as much as i can, strong engine etc and not have weak spots!
I know on my budget i cant get that, as solid lifters etc!!

Im new to all this throttle body malaki! (sp)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the car stands now with a 1k rebuild a few years back by previous owner

165 bhp and 163 lb/ft ,

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
£££/power the LET will always come out on top. The LET is reliable as long as its serviced correctly. The only point that will fail is the turbo itself if its the factory original. Most LET's are over 100K old now and the turbo is really only built to last that long anyway.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Best thing i can suggest is to try and drive a car with both and see which you prefer. They really are 2 completely different animals.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
why do people think with TBs there is cold start problems? I never had any cold start problems once they were setup correctly

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garrie -its only things ive heard in the past thats all!
If someone has a xe with tbs they wish to lend me then please do so!
Il try blag a go in spankees vectra when he finally gets the thing run in!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
As Garrie has said the cold start thing is an urban myth, My car will idle from cold no problem. The fuel consumption is pretty poor though but i put that down to the base map i'm running.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see the 225 kit includes the pistons, valves, verniers, valve stuff as well,
management??
I can see that going well over my budget though!!

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
the 'Kits' come with an ECU and loom.

cold start isnt a problem as long as its set up right, mine starts fine, i can get about 40mpg is driven sensibly, yesturday i did 200 miles on £15 of petrol;)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Nova16v said:
Most LET's are over 100K old now and the turbo is really only built to last that long anyway.
Or so you thought :)
26K on mine, but yea, the turbo is 106K and oil seals have seen better days.

Seeing as this is going into a Corsa, I'd go with a XE + Carbs/TBs. LET will have more power, undoubtedly, but if its A/B road driving, or anywhere with a roundabout/junction/corner, then the XE will be more fun.

I would have always gone the turbo'd route, till this week and driving something with no Turbo, 8 throttle bodies and totally instant accelleration. It can't be beaten.

If I ever do a "project" then it'll be either a Zetec or XE/Ecotec on TBs/Carbs depending on budget. Nothing is a much fun as sticking your right foot down and the car leaping instantly forwards.

Supercharging would be the other option, and that Swedish guys install which was posted last month, looked amazing.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Tb's

u can get better mpg with tb's if u drive sedatly.

Its like this - with 8 smaller injectors u can flow the same fuel more efficiently than u can with 4 larger ones.

Efficency = Power / MPG depending how u drive ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It appears that TBS is the easiest way to go, as i have a good engine!

I dont want the hassle and how tight a let is in a corsa!

been chatting to j1400 and seems to build it seperately with emerald management as there up the road, and Jenvey tb's is cheaper and better option than the sbd kit, as that has a base map rather than proper management!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts