Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When planning on going for a phase 3.5 conversion, I take it its not just a simple mod so which other parts will have to be replaced in addition to this

Also is it possible to run a F20 as oppose to a F28??

(car is a nova, with a C20LET)

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
what would you have to do to a F20 to make it work? LSD?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris S, yeah that was the idea

so i take it it is a big no no then, wasnt there someone on here runningaround 270bhp through a F20:confused:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
F20 + 300ft/lb = It will die after a while.
F20 + 300ft/lb + LSD = It will die very quickly indeed.

Loss of traction means the torque is not applied to the gearbox. You increse traction (slicks, LSD, whatever) then more torque will be applied to the 'box.

This is why on big power conversions it's the higher gears that go first as wheelspin is less in them. Nothing for the engine to work against = no torque produced.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have had a let on an f20 for three years and have had no problems. I put phase 3 on about 18 months ago and still have no problems. The biggest problem i have is finding a clutch to fit it and take the torque. Buying an f28 is cool (do people still use that word), but they are considerably more expensive than an f20 so it takes the fun out of having a cheap(ish) fast banger! Does anyone know if the f20 and the f28 are the same gearset up to 5th?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts