Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What header tanks are you LET boys running?? I have the standard one on mine, trouble is the filler cap doesn't seal very well, so when the pressure builds up high the header tank lets out air and doesn't pressurise. So if I stop after a hard run the coolant has started boiling.

Also I noticed (don't know if its related to the coolant boiling) but my header tank is splitting on the seam.

What are other peoples experiences/ideas?

For peeps who run digi dashes, how many bars do urs sit on? Mine is 3, is this right?

John.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The Bailey one is the only one on the market that I know of. Also it has a matching partner of a catch-tank for the other side.

·
Registered
935 Posts
i also wondered about this! tried a couple of caps to see if that was the problem! i just keep my eye on my coolant level and top up when necessary!
waiting for a cheap bailey one to come up! dont fancy paying 100 quid for one

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
i wouldnt pay £20 for a bailey one - cheap rubbish

the only time ive had the plastic ones split and cap not seal is when the head gasket was going.

on a digidash my coolant sits halfway which iirc is 3 bars

·
Registered
935 Posts
mines been like that for 5 years and ther head gasket hasnt gone yet! mine also sits at 3 bars on the digi dash (exact middle) and never goes any higher! when its hot i can hear the cap hissing !

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
3 bars is where it's suposed to be, same on both my engines too.

Stu - Really should see you down Cheltenham on a Sunday, why they "cheap"? I know it's an overpriced alloy box but of good enough quality.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
mine has always sat at 3 bars, although just recently when sitting in traffic in this hot weather the temp has gone up to 4 bars, triggered the fan off and then its gone back down to 3 bars, so nothing really to worry about here

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right I got a replacement header tank from the breakers. I let the car warm up and then took it for a hard run, it started hissing, so I tightened it up more and it stopped. I did however notice that the coolant that comes from the turbo (via the small breather sized pipe) was boiling, I take it this is to be expected just coming from a red hot turbo?!?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
From personal experience i'd go for a bailey. I split two header tanks on my turbo engine and decided to spend out on the bailey tank. No chance of this one splitting and the engine also runs cooler.
Also was running a courtenay sport cool run thermostat which helps.

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't the courtney cool running stat just an 82 degree one?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
nova-x . cheltenham cruise is not really my scene tbh , plus i would probably get laffed away at the sight of my nova lmao

as for me thinking there a bit cheap then, imo they are designed for looks rather than the original purpose alloy header tanks which were designed to combat problems while racing. for starters there is no water level indicator which is quite usefull allthough not eccential, the caps use a ford type fitting to which there are not a lot of aftermarket one available. plus they have been known to expand if you do fit a high pressure cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.