Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just flicking thru Max Power and it said that with regards to MOT tests, solid sunstrips and single-wipers that stop in the middle of your windscreen are both now illegal.

Are there any other common (or uncommon) mods that are in fact illegal? Eg: Angel eyes?

Also, has anyone heard any updates regarding under-car neons? 'cos the way I'v heard it is that as they aren't actually projected (ie: they are only a glow) they are legal. Although just to be safe, I know some now do a 100% legal mode, where the front tubes are white, sides amber + rear red.
From this, I'm assuming that them shoddy windscreen washer cover thingys are illegal, unless white?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to have those colored side light bulbs,i got stopped by the police,and asked to take them out there and then,"or you are nicked" he said,....that was 6 odd years ago.
What pi55e5 me off is,all these motorbikes,that have those purple/red head light covers on,i have never seen one of them get stopped for them :confused:. one set of rules for bikes,and another set of rules for car drivers.............

·
Registered
166 Posts
In theory it is illegal for any motor vehicle, other than emergency services to have any form of blue lighting (eg. Blue LED wipers). I've heard this from a number of people and it does make sense for obvious reasons. Whether you'll get done for it or not is another matter.

Half the time you'll find the police don't even know the law properly themselves...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Appartently blue is only only illegal in the grill, headlights or front bumper. I argued my point with a copper cos i once had blue LED washer jets (not for long though), and he checked and never said another word to me about them, neon's just depend on what mood the coppers in!!!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
I guess the bikes may have more leniency cos anything thats makes them stand out in someones mirrors is a plus really.

Dont know hwo they get away with those tiny rear plates tho! lol

I thought Neons were illegal full stop.

Solid sun strips have ALWAYS been an MOT fail LOL

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
Davey boy said:
they are not if you don't have a top tink screen fitted.
they are illegal and an MOT failure if the wiper hits the sunstrip.
My mate failed on it and thats all it failed on.

found this mate http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm

Reason for rejection
Windscreen:

1. Referring to the diagram below, examine the swept area of the Windscreen and the drivers view through it.
1. In Zone 'A:

b. a Windscreen sticker or other
obstruction encroaching more than 10mm

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what about sunstrips like the one in that pic? Ie: it is clear with some text, so not completely opaque..?
I can understand the cops reasoning if they want you to change the colour of your windscreen washer lights. Say you were one a road in dim light, and you saw some red lights coming towards you. You;d be thinking there's a car in front of you going forwards in the same direction, not coming towards you.

If you get what I mean.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
redgte16v said:
I did fit some blue strobes in the headlights for a laugh, coppers were not improessed!!!

Was funny though seeing people pull over and me going past!!
ive always wanted to do that
get a nice big white omega ex-police one, with the light cutouts behind the grill, then race ppl on the motorway and stuff, then like turn the lights on :D

im sure they would see the funny side after i'd shot past :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.