Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally sorting out my HID Xenon kit on my GTE, im really pleased with the way it looks. However, I do find that the bright white light is spoiled by the yellowness of the halogen sidelights.

For my sins, I have tried fitting blue coloured sidelights (Halfords specials :( ) and they still show up yellow.

Would LED sidelights be better?

Im after a nice white light. Do I have to change anything when fitting LED sidelights, or is it a plug and play job?

Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Addz said:
After finally sorting out my HID Xenon kit on my GTE, im really pleased with the way it looks. However, I do find that the bright white light is spoiled by the yellowness of the halogen sidelights.

For my sins, I have tried fitting blue coloured sidelights (Halfords specials :( ) and they still show up yellow.

Would LED sidelights be better?

Im after a nice white light. Do I have to change anything when fitting LED sidelights, or is it a plug and play job?

Any suggestions? :confused:
LED ones do give a nice white light, but i found on my astra that they tended to malt after about 3 weeks of use! the thing is on the mk3's the side light bulb is way to close to the main headlamp bulb, so it just cooks them!

not sure if yours will be the same.

If you decide to give them a go try www.ultraleds.com he has loads of differant types and all are top quality.

Neil

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CobbyMk3 said:
LED ones do give a nice white light, but i found on my astra that they tended to malt after about 3 weeks of use! the thing is on the mk3's the side light bulb is way to close to the main headlamp bulb, so it just cooks them!

not sure if yours will be the same.

If you decide to give them a go try www.ultraleds.com he has loads of differant types and all are top quality.

Neil
OK mate ive gone onto the 501 10mm wedge bulb page (thats the ones i need isnt it?) and there are loads of them!

Other than the amount of LEDS, whats the difference between 3 and 5 LEDS? Is one brighter?

What one should I get? :confused:

And is it simply a case of replacing the bulbs thats it? Even though its gone from Halogen to LED?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not sure what bulbs the Mk2 ues, mk3 uses 501's.

the more leds you have the brighter they will be....
but, the more leds you have the more they cost!

i had the "(501) White 4 x 5 mm Leds (Pair) New Wide Angle Version " i would like but it wont work..... they dont look as pretty, but the are VERY bright and the most heat resistant of the lot (that i tried)

Neil

Edit;
ps you dont need top change anything else, just change the bulb for the led ones and all will be fine!

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CobbyMk3 said:
Not sure what bulbs the Mk2 ues, mk3 uses 501's.

the more leds you have the brighter they will be....
but, the more leds you have the more they cost!

i had the "(501) White 4 x 5 mm Leds (Pair) New Wide Angle Version " i would like but it wont work..... they dont look as pretty, but the are VERY bright and the most heat resistant of the lot (that i tried)

Neil

Edit;
ps you dont need top change anything else, just change the bulb for the led ones and all will be fine!
Im not mega worried about the heat as the Xenons give off less heat than normal halogens anyways.

What im after is a White light, not a yellowy halogen type light. Were yours proper white? If so ill get them then!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They were very white, almost blue. Like the newer HID lights.
they were as white as these ones....

none of that yellow crap!
(You could go for the blue ones but they are very BLUE, not white.)

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! Ill get some of those ordered then mate.

Only problem now is that my front fogs are still yellowy halogen!

Thanks for your help!

Ill post some pics up when they are fitted.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Try ring Sportz Blues for those, they give off more of a white light. (the only thing is they are not road legal because they are 80w)

ooooh. you do relise LED sidelights are not legal. they have no e mark.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CobbyMk3 said:
Try ring Sportz Blues for those, they give off more of a white light. (the only thing is they are not road legal because they are 80w)

ooooh. you do relise LED sidelights are not legal. they have no e mark.
Ahh didnt know that! Well ill give them a go and see how i get on. Ill carry some normal 501s in case the old bill get funny! :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
they never got funny with me! they look no more strange than the legal HID's. just click to main lights and they wont see them anyway!

have fun!

(you coming to the show on monday? if so you can have a look at my white fogs. see if they will do the trick for you.)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
"Vauxhall speed and show" show. Bank holliday monday. Stratford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LED auto lights www.sunshinehid.com

We are manufacturer of LED auto lights and HID xenon conversion kits.

Product: LED Auto Lights

Specification: T5 Wedge, T10 Wedge, T10 BA9S, Festoon, T25,3156,3157 and the like.
www. sunshinehid. com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts