Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys,

Does anyone know when the last Cavs were manufactured ? Was it in 1995 sometime ?

Reason I ask is they've really been growing on me since I salvaged that scrap one last week... I'd like to get one to replace the Astra, however I want one as young as possible.
I'll probably be looking for something standard like a 1.6 / 1.8 i LS/GLS... unfortunatly my insurance cost will prevent anything fun like an SRI being a reality for another few years yet...

Can good condition ones be had for under the 500 quid mark, or am I wasting my time ? Should I just save up for an early Vectra or something ? i think they're ok, but Cavs look nicer IMO...

Any input appreciated :D

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
You can get a really nice one for under 1k, I think aiming around the 500 mark is good, there are still well looked after ones about.

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
yep end of 1995 was the Last of them.

Few late registered ones kicking about as is always the case.

Vectra started production at the end of 1995.

·
Registered
358 Posts
KillBill said:
Evening guys,

Does anyone know when the last Cavs were manufactured ? Was it in 1995 sometime ?

Reason I ask is they've really been growing on me since I salvaged that scrap one last week... I'd like to get one to replace the Astra, however I want one as young as possible.
I'll probably be looking for something standard like a 1.6 / 1.8 i LS/GLS... unfortunatly my insurance cost will prevent anything fun like an SRI being a reality for another few years yet...

Can good condition ones be had for under the 500 quid mark, or am I wasting my time ? Should I just save up for an early Vectra or something ? i think they're ok, but Cavs look nicer IMO...

Any input appreciated :D
AFAIK production ended in around October 1995 when the Vectra was launched, but there were a few which were late registered in 1996 .... even on a P-Reg, but they're hard to find. Apparently the late Cavalier's are much better built than the early Vectra's.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers folks :)

The one I have in my drive is a 95, but its been too badly neglected to start fixing up I think :mad: . Pity, its a metallic green saloon and really looks the business....

It has 150k on the clock also. Whats the average life expectancy of the 1.6i engine roughly ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
KillBill said:
Cheers folks :)

The one I have in my drive is a 95, but its been too badly neglected to start fixing up I think :mad: . Pity, its a metallic green saloon and really looks the business....

It has 150k on the clock also. Whats the average life expectancy of the 1.6i engine roughly ?
Depends on how well it's been maintained, but at 150k it's probably nearing the end of it's life.

Does it have to be really late Cavalier? There's a '94 1.6 LS on autotrader with a genuine 68k miles on the clock and it looks as good as new!

·
Registered
358 Posts
KillBill said:
Now surely this one has to be a misprint... over enthusiastic use of the 0 key lmao
This one:

1994 L Reg VAUXHALL CAVALIER 1.6i LS 5-Door5 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Hatchback, Petrol, 68,000 miles, Metallic Dark Green. Adjustable seats, Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Head restraints, Metallic paintwork, Power assisted steering, Sunroof. Insurance Group:7, Contrasting charcoal grey velour interior, Stereo, Long MOT, Same Owner Since 1995, Just 68,000 miles, Service History, 4 years warranty available, www.mccarthycars.co.uk [email protected] £1,490

Well overpriced tho.

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is better priced:

1995 N Reg VAUXHALL CAVALIER 1.8i LS ONE LADY OWNER FROM NEW CLEAN EXAMPLE.
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 76,000 miles, Flame Red. power steering, ABS, Central locking, Cloth upholstery, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Sunroof. Insurance Group:8, All Past MOT'S,Very Tidy example must be viewed. FLOOD LIT AREA AND LATE NIGHT VIEWING AVAILABLE. This vehicle comes fully valeted .Please phone to view vehicle. Click on dealers web site to view our stock list open 7 days a week 8am till 8pm .£200 CASH DEPOSIT ON ANY VEHICLE.Office 01245380612 / 07801 954271Office 01245380612 £795.

Ulting Used Car Sales

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
I used to have a 1994 1.8 LSi Cav, drastically underpowered, but really comfy to drive!

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BlackIce said:
I used to have a 1994 1.8 LSi Cav, drastically underpowered, but really comfy to drive!
I know all about underpowered... my last car was a 2.0i... my current Astra is a 100,900 miler 1.4SPI :eek:
A 1.8 may not be SRI material, but at least it'd be a lot pokier, and I could just about afford the insurance...
Also the comfort thing... I've always found bigger cars far nicer and more comfortable to drive... I prefer them over small ones any day :)
Even that sh1theap of a Cav I have in the drive is really comfy to sit in.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
andy_h said:
This is better priced:

1995 N Reg VAUXHALL CAVALIER 1.8i LS ONE LADY OWNER FROM NEW CLEAN EXAMPLE.
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 76,000 miles, Flame Red. power steering, ABS, Central locking, Cloth upholstery, Driver airbag, Electric windows, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Sunroof. Insurance Group:8, All Past MOT'S,Very Tidy example must be viewed. FLOOD LIT AREA AND LATE NIGHT VIEWING AVAILABLE. This vehicle comes fully valeted .Please phone to view vehicle. Click on dealers web site to view our stock list open 7 days a week 8am till 8pm .£200 CASH DEPOSIT ON ANY VEHICLE.Office 01245380612 / 07801 954271Office 01245380612 £795.

Ulting Used Car Sales
Cheers for those Andy, that ones not badly priced at all.
Btw, whats the GLS have that the LS doesn't ?
I take it to get things like check control and 4 x electric windows I'd have to goto a GSI or something ?

:beer:

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
Yeah there are loads of N-plate's around.

I've seen one "P" plate on a Cav but better still there are plenty of "R" plate Calibra's and also a handful of "S" plates :cool:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Don't go for an early Vectra, they're a bag of ****e in all honesty.

The 1.8i goes OK, my boss' dad uses one for towing, and I've seen it tow a 4-wheel trailer with 3 pallets of concrete blocks on it. The brakes were not happy, but it pulled up some fairly large hills without much difficulty. His is a '96, ex hire car off Jersey so it had little to no milage when he got it about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
GlasgowRob said:
96 N although rumour has it a few P platers around old stock etc
I used to work with a guy who worked at vauxhall around this time. He was telling me about the last old stock ones they put together. all v6 with every toy going/leather etc. he was telling me the number plates of them at the time. i could still find out if anyone was interested.

·
Registered
111 Posts
KillBill said:
Btw, whats the GLS have that the LS doesn't ?
:beer:
colourcoded electric mirrors and some silver trim round the bumpers and bump strips :p they've got the boot panel on the back too, but i think the very late ls's had them too. not sure if they had a leccy sunroof, simple to add if you want one though.

i believe theres a very late registered S reg cav running about somewhere in scotland??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts