Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be fitting some Koni adjustables at the weekend and was just wondering what settings I should go for.

I think they're currently on hard at the front and medium at the back. What settings have other people used and how has this effected handling performance.

By the way its a 2.0 SRi hatch.

Cheers guys,

Steve

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Start full soft, and see how it goes

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I know it's not quite the same, but when I had the mini, I had hard on the front and soft on the back...

when cornering, I kept loosing the backend (yes on a mini!!!!) and it was horrible, kept trying to chuck me off...

I'd say depending if you want oversteer or understeer and all that.........

mark

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well at the moment the car seems to understeer but I think that good be due, in part, to the crap tyres I have. The guys from astra-sport seem to favour hard at the front, medium at the back but I just thought I'd ask on here too.

Steve

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
ahh, put them all on soft and go for a drive....

then do the same on full hard and see what happens.....

not being the best driver in the world, in a FWD car I prefer a little understeer......

mark

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I guess understeer is better than huge amounts of oversteer. My only porblem with doing that is that the rear ones need to be removed to be adjusted - the front ones can obviously be done on the car.

Steve

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
my koni rears don't have to be taken off, they are top adjustable like the fronts :confused:

anyway, i have mine on the softest all round. i did experiment with it a bit but found that for me it handles best like this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I use 1.25-1.5 turns (out of 2.5 turns) at the front and use standard shocks at the rear with lowered uprated springs (-30mm) and the handling is just right. So I suspect the rears should be set to soft if they are Koni for correct balance. Also if you use standard springs the settings at the front should be softer, probably 1turn will be OK. If you set them to full it will not necessary give you better balance, handling or grip.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
does anyone using koni's find they are pretty damn hard even on the softest setting? mine sometimes feel like i've got no suspension at all! could the springs have this effect?

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
If you think its hard when its soft try it on hard ;)

I have mine at about 60% on the front and no idea on the rear but I think its very soft.

Too soft on the front and it wibbles abit over bumps, too hard and it skips. You won't find the best setting for all roads, just do the best you can.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
An excellent write up from Brian Sssssssss :beer:

Turn all shocks to full hard, and back off to setup the car to remove understeer. You mentioned you have your shocks full soft at the rear, that's not the way to get rid of understeer. Keep the rears hard, and move the front's softer until you start feeling the car is more neutral, play around with the settings a bit.

My Leda's have made a huge difference to the MR2, it used to understeer a lot, and sometimes struggled to accelerate hard with steering lock on. Now it hardly understeers at all, unless provoked ( accelerating into a corner ) and squats and goes mid-roundabout. It's miles better. I stuck them all hard, and backed off the rears 1/4 turn and the fronts 1/2-3/4 of a turn ( they have a lot of adjustment, about 3 turns all in all I think ). As a starting point for the suspension, it can't be faulted.

·
Administrator
61,465 Posts
as people have said above
start soft and keep ajusting up
i did,my rears r on about 30% cause of what my roads like
and the fronts r about 40% but need 2 b a bit harder

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
MattJ said:
An excellent write up from Brian Sssssssss :beer:

Turn all shocks to full hard, and back off to setup the car to remove understeer. You mentioned you have your shocks full soft at the rear, that's not the way to get rid of understeer. Keep the rears hard, and move the front's softer until you start feeling the car is more neutral, play around with the settings a bit.

My Leda's have made a huge difference to the MR2, it used to understeer a lot, and sometimes struggled to accelerate hard with steering lock on. Now it hardly understeers at all, unless provoked ( accelerating into a corner ) and squats and goes mid-roundabout. It's miles better. I stuck them all hard, and backed off the rears 1/4 turn and the fronts 1/2-3/4 of a turn ( they have a lot of adjustment, about 3 turns all in all I think ). As a starting point for the suspension, it can't be faulted.
So, when are you getting the Quaiffe diff :D

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent, cheers people.

My only concern is (as mentioned) that you have to take the rear ones off the car to adjust them so I was kinda hoping that once they were on I wouldnt have to keep taking them off to fine-tune them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.