Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the car is stationary with the engine stopped or running I get a knocking when the steering is turned slightly from side to side (as you would do to check for play in the track rod ends). :( This knocking is not noticable when driving but there is something not quite right with the steering, especially when pushing it a bit. The car's a MK3 2.0 Sport with 70k on the clock.

The following can be eliminated as they've recently been renewed and i've checked they are torqued up correctly:

Front Shocks
Lower Wishbones
Anti-roll bar drop links
All Engine Mounts
Strut Brace

There seems to be absolutely no play in the steering by the way. Track Rod Ends seem to be solid. Wheel bearings don't have any play in them. Steers from lock to lock smoothly. Tracking was done ~1k ago and no kerbs or big holes have been driven over.

With someone else turning the steering i've noticed the following:

1) The rack moves very slightly sideways in it's mountings (~2mm) the mounting brackets are tight and don't move

2) Tops of front shocks move very slightly (with the play in the rubber) in the top mounts (~1mm)

Are the above normal? and has anyone any idea where else the knocking could be coming from?

Cheers :beer:

Ben

·
Administrator
29,659 Posts
the strut top is normal but you talk about track rod ends, but you havent replaced them or checked them

i would check here first

·
Registered
614 Posts
Reading this sound to me that nothing is wrong. But something is not right. I expect something has not been bolted properly. Is the rack itself bolted properly? It looks like you done a lot of suspension work on this car, it is possible some parts have not been put on properly? You will need to just recheck everything you have done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the thing though. I've spent hours re-checking that everything is tight. The track rod ends have no play in them that I can see/feel. If I hold each track rod end when the steering is being moved, it feels as if the knock is coming from elsewhere. Again, there is no play whatsoever in the steering. The slightest move of the steering wheel moves both wheels.

What's the views on the slight movement of the rack?

Could a boken/fractured/damaged spring cause it and how can I check the springs?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CV gaitors all seem to be fine with no splits and the grease can be felt inside.

I will check the arm to rack bolts tomorrow, although I've grabbed hold of each arm and given it a good yank to see if there's any movement...And there is none.

Cheers for the response lads.

Any thoughts on the rack movement itself - could the rubber on the inside of each bracket be past its best or should the rack have a slight movement?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay...I've been out and checked all the nuts/bolts are tight, and they are.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the steering rack moving slightly from side to side?

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't have thought it was the bulkhead as the actual brackets don't move. It's the rack moving in the brackets, if you see what I mean?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.