Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install KN 57i induction kit on Astra mk2 GTE 16v.

Is it ok to leave original exhaust or the rear box should be changed?

I mean, are the performance going to be better even with original exhaust system?

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
have you actually bought the 57i yet ? If not go for a pannel filter and drill the bottom half of the standard box.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yeah but urs is one of the few and may give better results with a modded airbox and panel filter

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
as mentioned by jhonno; u may feel that the 57i is working well with ur 20XE engine, but you're bound to be loosing a couple of bhp due to the heat it draws in from the exhaust manifold. Unless you've segregated the cone filter in such a way that only cold air is sucked in (building a surround chamber), i should think that the modified airbox and panel filter will be better in terms of peformance.
Every XE is different as we all know but I guess (i've fallen for it) the raw induction noise is somewhat of a novelty to us non-tb'd peeps!;)
I'm not quite sure on the Astra GTE 16V but is there a resonator box in the front bumper?

Rosh

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
Rosh said:
as mentioned by jhonno; u may feel that the 57i is working well with ur 20XE engine, but you're bound to be loosing a couple of bhp due to the heat it draws in from the exhaust manifold. Unless you've segregated the cone filter in such a way that only cold air is sucked in (building a surround chamber), i should think that the modified airbox and panel filter will be better in terms of peformance.
Every XE is different as we all know but I guess (i've fallen for it) the raw induction noise is somewhat of a novelty to us non-tb'd peeps!;)
I'm not quite sure on the Astra GTE 16V but is there a resonator box in the front bumper?

Rosh
Well considering my 1/4mile time, I think it's safe to say that the 57i works quite well on my car. And yes I have a very effective cold air supply.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
in the majority of cases XE wont like it, and i'm sure i could dig up a few posts about you enquiring how to stop kangarooing, breather mods etc etc.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
Yeah you're right 0ddball, but you'll also dig up that even when I went back to completely standard induction it felt less eager to rev, and bucked just as badly as with the 57i. The problem was cured by a second go at the breather mod. So I've got the best of both world's now, the smooth drive of standard induction, plus the increased airflow of the 57i.

But it does all depend on each particular case. I experimented with lots different induction set-ups until I found what worked best with my engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kangarooing Cure

I believe the Kangooring problem is due to breathing problem as well as hot air. Ecotek valve seems to help with this problem.

Yes you do need good cold air feed. I have used the std intake from the grill on my 888 to 57i and It works fine. 235 bhp fine!

Regds,

Mantamagic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts