Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ive just bought a 8 reg astra gte 8v with 152 000 miles on it for my run around. The car has had one former keeper and has been well looked after and has had many new parts.

The bodywork is nearly mint as its been resprayed and arches are perfect with no rust on the car whatsoever, the interior is a mess, needs a good clean and there are some stains/rips.

My main concern is that it still runs on LRP, the owner claimed tha unleaded can be used but it does feel as quick, he also said that there is a switch that can be turned on in the engine to adjust the timeing??? does anybody know what hes going on about? im not sure what to do fuel wise? ive put in sum lrp but would prefer to run it on UL/

any advice?

many thanks

moz

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
My main concern is that it still runs on LRP, the owner claimed tha unleaded can be used but it does feel as quick, he also said that there is a switch that can be turned on in the engine to adjust the timeing???
It's really simple. There's a 98/95 RON plug under the bonnet. It retards the timing a bit for 95RON which means a bit less power.
Why he's using LRP I've no idea, the stuff is 95 Premium with some Lead substitutes added. It's absolute crap. You don't need the Lead susbstitute anyway because the head has hardened seats.

Do this: set it at 98RON
use a bit of 97 Super/and 98 Optimax and a bit of 85 Premimum in it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, its a GTE 8v on a E plate in Black..... Im really happy with it so far although it has got intergalatic millage and isnt that nice inside it does go well...fingers crossed even though i did experiance a missfire in second gear once

Wheres this plug located? left right top bottom?????..... what setting do you use on your 8v Tom???

It had lots of recently new parts as its done 152 000k miles, is there anything that i should look out for to keep her going strong??

I feel like Michael Knight

:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
????

my 'c' reg 1.8 8v runs on unleaded and alway has as far as I know (at least for the two years i've had the car and the year that the previous owner had it).

maybe I should chuck some lrp in it for a laugh?

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
No, don't waste time on LRP. It's 95 with Potassium used instead of Lead. It doesn't offer any advantages unless you've got an engine without hardened valve seats.

I use a mixture of Optimax, BP 97, Sainsburys 97 and occasional 95 premium. Ocatane plug is under bonnet on driver's side.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think its for my astra gte mrk2.... all mrk3 are UL arnt they???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Astra GTE 1.8 1987

Please help!

thought i would add to this string with a question

i have the above car and im not sure weather it will run on unleaded

now i have looked everywhere for this dam codeing plug with no joy does this mean i will not run on unleaded???????

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
gc2318 said:
Please help!

thought i would add to this string with a question

i have the above car and im not sure weather it will run on unleaded

now i have looked everywhere for this dam codeing plug with no joy does this mean i will not run on unleaded???????
yes you can run unleaded but before you do look under the bonnet on the right hand side of the car there will be something that looks like this http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/ron_plugs/pic001.htm once you have found it make sure it is a brown one and it has the plastic clip facing the side that sais 95 it will be in big white letters if you cant see any letters go and get another plug from a scrap yard something from an 8valve cavalier will do. when you fill up with petrol again use unleaded and change the ron plug at the same time as filling up.

that should do the job and you will be able to keep using unleaded without any worries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts