Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im breaking a PC and i have 2 12" blue cold cathodes with protective covers on, these run at 12v.

I also have a mk3 1991 Astra, now heres the idea, light the footwells with these when the doors are opened. Can it be done? Im thinking that i could connect the inverter (running from 12v) to the coutesy light circuit, wheres the easiest place to get access to it?

I know theres a light by the sunroof and 2 by the rear doors, is there an easy place i can just solder the inverter into? I would hope to get it in parallel with a light or sommit so i dont get any faded out.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Yeah I've done it in mine - i used an on/off/on switch, where one "on" left it on constant, and the other "on" for a door-open jobby. I used the driver door switch because couldn't figure out how to run the wires from the roof.
However, I've done it with the courtesy light in my boot and it works fine.

computer parts are such fun! Identical to car made parts, except loads cheaper! I can pick up som 12" neons for £3.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yer these were about £3 from ebuyer hehe, well i dunno about using the switch on the door as i dunno how to get to it.

will look at the wiring diagrams in the haynes manual and see if theres an easy way.

Any more suggestions of where to wire them in?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
If you're feeling really brave you could run them under the roof carpet?! Yeah that's where I got my neons from. Am tempted to jiffy a couple of fans into my install for pure novelty value. And to keep the amp cool of course...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EasyRider said:
If you're feeling really brave you could run them under the roof carpet?!
LOL no thanks.. need sommit quick and easy, behind the center console would be ideal but i dont think theres anything related to light circuit there :(

Dunno if the lamp in the glovebox is related in anyway, looks like i will need to play around and see if theres something close by.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Naah, the glove box one only comes on when it opens.

Unlike mine, which stays on 24/7, cos it's made by General Motors. So I've just ripped out the bulb for the time being.

Actually.... thinking about it logically... you won't need to go all the way up to the light in the roof, will you? You only need the two wiures which run to it OR go to behind the light switch and work out which ones from that control the light. HOPEFULLY they'll be linked directly to the door buttons, so could hijack those leads.

I'll have a poke around tomorrow, and will give you a shout if I find anything out. Thank God for study leave! I take it it's all going into an Astra mk3?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.