Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who sells the above cheep ?
Fed up of using the Astra to jump start cars !!!
Had to do that twice last week, not doing my car battery any good.
There's a Clark on on Machine Mart's website for £40, anyone got one ?

Paul

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
I heard battery boosters were the quickest way to kill your ECU. could be wrong tho as I know nothing. :p

L

·
0 Posts
Me and all my machnic mates have been using them for years and never killed an ecu yet.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have one of the Aldi ones. Also got a built in compressor on it. They are safe to use on you car as its just like connecting another battery rather than say jumping off another car which is what can damage your ECU.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah it can. What happens is the alternator of the slave car sends out a quick spike of around 14-15v when the dead car starts as it tries to charge both batteries, this can find its way to your ECU and fry it. Most jump leads these days come with arrestors to stop this. Doesnt happen with the boost pack as its not connected to an alternator.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
I see. What if you disconnected the battery form the slave car, so it was no longer connected to the alternator? It would then become safe to jump start with wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah in theory that would work. Boost packs are handy though. I mainly use mine to run a 12v fridge for beer at Vaux events like Billing :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts