Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1668 Posts

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not making this to compete with the one on VXON, I'm just making it because I'm bored.

There are two stages to this.

1) Removing the white ring from the fuel pump. This can be done in it's own for a nice increase in semi-open throttle response.
2) Increasing the boost and upping the fuel.

1. Removing the white ring.

The fuel pump on Cavaliers with the Isuzu engine is underneath the inlet manifold. This means the manifold has got to come off.

The collection box on the top of the manifold is secured by four 6mm bolts with 10mm heads. The air filter is also in here, the one that people forget about. ;)

Once this is off, you can remove the hose to the air box which is held on with a jubilee clip, and the hose from the other side.

The manifold itself is held on with torx-headed bolts (some longer than others, so remember which ones are from where). I didn't have any sockets to fit, but IIRC a 5/16th socket fit very tightly.

You might have to loosen up the union on injector one to get a socket past it.

The easiest way to see what needs removing from the bottom edge of the manifold is by using a mirror, or I used my phone with the light on. :p There isn't much space down there, and there will be swearing,

You will have to remove the feed from the turbo as well, this is simply two bolts, but they are a pain to get to and they are different lengths.

You will need a new inlet manifold gasket and a new gasket from the manifold to the turbo feed.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once the manifold is off, you can clearly see the fuel pump.

The cover you want to attack is held on by four 6mm bolts with 10mm heads.

Keep these somewhere safe and clean.

Gently pull the cover off, and underneath you will be greeted with the diaphram. You will need to (very gently) pull this up and pull the entire plunger out from the fuel pump.

Make sure you don't rotate it, as the orientation of this plunger determines the fuelling for the entire rev range.

Gently slide the white ring down and off the plunger, and put the plunger back into the fuel pump exactly how it came out.

While you have such good access, it might be worth taking the anti-tamper cover off the maximum fuel screw. I didn't do this, so I will have to attack it with the manifold on. :(

Now do the entire lot in reverse, renewing the inlet manifold gasket and the gasket to the turbo feed.

This is the ground work for further tuning done.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
How much quicker did it feel when you did the mods?

Theres someone on vxon with 117hp and new 200ib of torque not sure if its running nitrous or not, think it was in performance vauxhall in a dyno shoot out.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's probably Rich C, and IIRC he has a 75bhp+ nitrous kit as well.

It's a lot lot quicker. There's a video somewhere of me doing 25 - 70 and it only takes about 10 seconds.

It's made a very noticeable difference. I've only set mine up roughly cos I don't have a boost gauge, but should be getting one soon so I'll see how far it'll go.

It's definately worth doing though. I need to get mine on a dyno and see how much it's putting out now. :)

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Yer thats the bloke, whats fueling like now mpg etc?

I got 22psi out of a bleedvalve on a td sierra without ic, would be funny to see what the isuzu does. Is it much better than the black top lowblow gm engine i've got?

If only your were close i'd love to have a testdrive :(

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
The vauxhall diesel engine is crap, mine is standard and is boosting at 1 bar for some reason and goes really really well. Coming from a 97bhp nova sri, the cavalier doesnt exactly feel that slow. Plus i love when it comes on boost, puts a nice grin on my face.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I do remember being chased up the DC by something when i had a nova gte years ago, slowed down and a mk3 astra td pushed in front lol i was abit shocked.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got 22psi out of a bleedvalve on a td sierra without ic, would be funny to see what the isuzu does. Is it much better than the black top lowblow gm engine i've got?
Think the Isuzu can manage 1 bar, so about 14psi?

I haven't noticed a difference in fuel economy. Drive like a granny most of the time, but it's nice to have a bit of go when you need it. :)

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/attachments/mechanical-electrical/3549-isuzu-1-7td-tuning-tdi.avi?d=1165110520

There's my video. :)

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
F16 cr maybe on the cards from an 20seh. :D
Why would you want a close ratio gearbox on a diesel?

The gearbox they have, the F18w, is the longest FWD gearbox that Vauxhall do, with the highest final drive.

Mine will do 110mph, but it's so close to the redline you might as well get out and pull the sump plug out as a final insult. :(

I'm definately planning a longer gearbox for mine, I don't quite know how though. Bigger wheels might be the only way you're going to get a higher top end for a reasonable budget.

I did write a whole thread comparing the different gearboxes and all the ratios and how suitable they would all be for a TD, but then the server crashed and they had to restore from a backup. :(

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
Good thing about tuning a diesel, because a diesel by its nature runs incredibly lean on part throttle openings, you won't lose any economy by increasing output (providing you don't use the extra power available :p). In fact, simple stuff like different air filters and less backpressure will actually improve economy.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did write a whole thread comparing the different gearboxes and all the ratios and how suitable they would all be for a TD, but then the server crashed and they had to restore from a backup. :(
Speak of the devil, I've just found the meat and two veg. :)

Looking at that, an F18w would be the way to go. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1668 Posts