Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the pipe that comes out the side of the engine on the dizzy cap side just under the dizzy cap the small pipe, blow off the other day, so i cut it back and refitted, then the same pipe started leaking the day after, i thort id just tightened it too much as the hole was right before the clip. so again i cut it back and refitted, i replaced the temp switch in the rad as the rad fan wasnt kicking in. then i refilled the header tank and started the car to check if the fan wud come on. while i was waiting for the temp to rise i checked the header tank to see if it needed topped up any, but i noticed the water in the header tank was still as cold as it was when i topped it up, plus it wasnt circulating any. i thort once the engine was running the water started to circulate around the engine and return to the header tank?
IS MY WATER PUMP KNACKERED :confused:
P.S. my heater is still warming up pritty quick

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The header tank is permanently connected to the coolant system, it doesnt have an an or off valve!

Is the rad and pipes getting hot? If your water pump was knackered youd probably get a leak/noise from that area along with poor cooling of the engine due to lack of circulation from the pump.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
AndrewM said:
The header tank is permanently connected to the coolant system, it doesnt have an an or off valve!
well thats not strictly true, since the main feed back to the header tank comes from the cooled side of the radiator.

but there is a little squirt every now and then from the small inlet manifold hose.

as for the original question, was the large upper and lower rad hoses getting hot ?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I dont think youve read what we've said! You need to check the top and bottom large hoses are getting warm and what Ive listed above.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok
went out checked bottom rad hose + top hose, both were cold :(
sqeezed both of them afew time and got alot of bubble-ing coming from header tank, then header tank level went down to empty. filled it back up, then within acouple of minute the water in the header tank was quite hot + both top & bottom hoses were starting to get warm, waited till temp reached 100 deg. then rad fan kicked in HOORAY at least ive sorted this. engine cooled right down to between 80-90deg, checked top & bottom hoses again and i burnt my hand :mad:
but atleast it was for a good reason :D
maybe there was some sort of air blockage some where ?

what do you think :)

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
yeah air lock.

should be standard procedure to run the car with the expansion cap off, giving the hoses a squeeze as it goes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so would all this have poosible caused the hose to blow off and then slit a 2nd time after refitting, the small one under the dizzy cap going into the engine :confused:

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
that hose is a common failure on the XE. the trouble with trimming is that it pulls the hose tighter and theres a nasty right angle, plus the fact it splits in the first place is the hose is old and weakened. basically i wouldnt expect a trimmed hose to last as long as a brand new full replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts