Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping out a dead '97 Daewoo Nexia 16V with a '98 Vectra X20XEV ( Simtec 56.5 )
The engine was sitting a couple of months in a scrap yard so had to take a chance
Beggars can't be choosers as it's the only one I could find in one piece with everything for the convcersion

The main lump was swapped out by my local repair garage
I got it wired up enough to crank on the key so thought it would be best to do a compression test before I spent too much more time on it

Here's what I got from my compression gauge:
1 - 4.5
2 - 10.2
3 - 10.8
4 - 10.5

From that I hoped it was just a head gasket which I didn't suspect at first because the cams weren't clogged with mayo, nor was what was left in the oil pan ( I topped it up before I started cranking... )
I bought a new gasket and bolt set, further hoping it hadn't been allowed to get hot and warp the head
The old gasket was in a bit of a sorry state in places but wasn't obviously damaged around the ring seals but I can't be sure
The piston crowns were a little bit gunked up so I gave them a clean with fine wire wool and an oily cloth
I noticed this on cylinder 1 ( see photo )

My question is this:
Is this engine knackered?
Or would it run, albeit a little rough if at all noticeable, so that I could finish the conversion and see about getting it professionally repaired later?

Thanks
Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here's what I got from my compression gauge:
1 - 4.5
2 - 10.2
3 - 10.8
4 - 10.5
might not be the piston, it could be loosing pressure from the cylinder head side, if it has a coked up valve seat, or any valve damage. id check the 4 valves on that #1 cylinder, before you bolt it together. might be worth having a look at the piston rings on #1 as well. check block and head mating faces for any damage, and flatness too

1 - 2 of 2 Posts