Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have problems with detanating at 18psi cav turbo 4x4 were bad for it so my mate with a corsa with same engine had same prob 300bhp running at 20psi same prob detanating he put volvo t5 plugs in it £55 will get u 4.now im running 15psi at 285mph it nice to boot it and not splutter. ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I am really hoping you dont mean proper detonation cause changing the plugs will not sort this. It may simply have been the high boost blowing the spark out, which can happen.

If you have proper detonation then you might wanna turn your boost down or install water injection/chargecooling before you engine decided it's had enuf.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So they should be okay then!! Any prefence as which to use HKS or Blitz??

By the way Rich, what type of pace chrarge-cooler have you had fitted is it a custom design? When i contacted Pace they told me they dont make any for a Cally/Cav Turbo

Andy... :confused:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
CallyT - even the recommended GM plugs are pretty good. They often get this kind of stuff straight from Bosch.
If you are running standard boost, stick with the recommended plug, GM or better still, get good Bosch ones (usually cheaper).
Also, Gav at Wallaceperformance will get you the best prices on anything, but I have a chargecooler kit for sale, it is VGC, but needs the little radiator replacing, about £130 from Pace I think.

Cavyturbo - you don't need to pay £55 for plugs!! My car peaks at 22psi on overboost, and holds 17psi, the best plug to handle this is a Bosch F6 DTC (£3 to £4 each!). Essential to get plugs in the right heat range (usually one or two points higher than the standard) when you are running higher boost. Otherwise they can't expel enough heat, and you will get the detonation problems you mention. Hope you didn't let it det for too long, once the damage starts...........
Also hope you replaced the knock sensor straight away. It "usually" does a very good (and IMPORTANT) job!
Richie is right (as usual), get that charge cooled, if you haven't already.
Are you sure you are running that much BHP? Without any form of intake charge cooling, it is really unlikely.

Cheers
Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.