Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had a very interesting night. Left work at 4:30 to get home with some light left and try and fix the ABS before the MOT tomorrow. I quickly jacked the car up and knocked the driveshaft in a bit so I could scrub the toothed ring on the shaft. It was caked in mud and after brushing with a wire brush I saw the polished metal underneath and was very happy as I put the fault down to the mud and crap giving a false reading. So, got that all clean, quick clean of the sensor and then put it all back.

On goes the wheel and 3 bolts and then the locking wheel nut bolt. I then find the locking 'key' stays in and won't come out, so I undo it just a little and it falls out. I pick it up and take a look and see this.

Fantastic, so how am I supposed to get the wheels off now? A trip to Halfords will be made and we will see what they have to say. When you look at the metal and just the weight of the thing its clear that this is not a strong part at all.

Anyway, the wheel was on tight so i sat in the car and turned the key, light came on and went off. I pulled to the end of the driveway and stopped - the light had come on :(

I reveresed it back up and just sat there in the seat. Right at that moment I realised why people were so happy to spend £20k on a 2nd hand 328. Yeah its more money but there is much lesss agrivation. So I sat there for a bit deciding what to do. In the end I went inside and had something to eat and watched TV. Then I got in the car and went down to pick up a brake kit from V-tuning.

As I was driving down there I found myself relaxing alot and then decided (as I was bored) that I would take the dash apart and get the bulb out as it wasn't that hard really. So I started taking it apart as I drove along ;) I didn't get too far as you reach a point where you just need both hands but it did make me laugh doing it so I was in a good mood when I arrive down near Gatwick.

Quick chat with Henryk (not sure I've spelt that right) and gave him £200 and took these away. They are really heavy but look pretty impressive

They should be fitted on the weekend :) So with the bulb mysteriously not working ;) and the relay in the engine bay mysteriously detached ;) I might be OK for the MOT tomorrow morning.

Heres hoping :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Good luck mate, fingers crossed for you. But if they know the car has ABS dont they check the light comes on when the ignition is swiched on??

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
MOT tester "whats that big pump with all the brake hoses coming off it"

scott "eerrrmm errmm, well you see when the astra got struck by lightning instantaneously transporting it back to 1885, and then me recieving a letter telling me this and me uncovering the astra in boot hill cemetary only to find the fuel pump relay was fried, so myself and the old me from 1955 had to rebuild it with valves and coax, so the old me could send the new me back to 2003 just in time for the MOT"

MOT tester "so its an abs pump and youve taken the bulb and fuse out to get round the fact it dont work"

scott "sob"

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
0ddball said:
MOT tester "whats that big pump with all the brake hoses coming off it"

scott "eerrrmm errmm, well you see when the astra got struck by lightning instantaneously transporting it back to 1885, and then me recieving a letter telling me this and me uncovering the astra in boot hill cemetary only to find the fuel pump relay was fried, so myself and the old me from 1955 had to rebuild it with valves and coax, so the old me could send the new me back to 2003 just in time for the MOT"

MOT tester "so its an abs pump and youve taken the bulb and fuse out to get round the fact it dont work"

scott "sob"
lmao

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I'm just hoping he won't notice ;) Theres no reason to pop the bonnet.

But of course its a Turbo so he will, just to take a look of course

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll tell them its the pump from the Calibra and the Astra doesn't have ABS.

Its not like they can get the wheels off to check :rolleyes:

I'll how I go

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Scott my ABS has the same problem. Richard worked it out to be the ATB Diff conflicting with the ABS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
with regards to the broken key, it should have a three digit code stamped on it, take it into halfords and the can order a replacement key for £5.99 takes about 3-5days but my advise would be to get some new lockers...pref McGard ones also can order through halfords for 29.99 much better quality and harder for theives to remove.

with regards to the MOT, i know that my MOT station probably would not realise they would test them but as long as they worked they probably would'nt take much notice of the ABS aspect if no light was to come on!

and they would open the bonnet to check fuel/brake leaks, rust around chassis and suspenion etc etc!!!!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Correct me if im wrong (usually the case), but how can ABS be part of the MOT????
they can't test it?? And isn't it just 'officially' there as a braking aid?

and ieven if it's one of those 'it's fitted so it sould work', again how do they test it???:confused:

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
they take it out for a drive and try and lock the wheels

it is part of the test if the car has it it has to work unfortuantely

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
There is no test of the ABS systems at all. They check the bulb lights up and goes out as it should as this is the ABS ECU running a self-test.
MOT testers dont road-test brakes unless its a 4x4 car that cant run on the roller brake tester.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts