Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a quick look through the local paper Car supplement today and there is a piece on the IAM.

Start reading it and its £85 for five night courses. However minky students get it for £40.

The fee includes the five evening lectures, a copy of pass your advanced driving test, the Highway Code, course notes, one year's membership to the IAM and Gordon Advanced Motorists, all tuition required by the candidate and the IAM test fee.
Sounds interesting to me.

Anyone here a memeber, what does the test include? How hard is it? Do i really want to go through another test?

Thoughts and opinons please.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Ha ha, My Ex- girlfriend's Dad was an instructor, so i didn't have to pay :p Scott it is hard, you see all sorts of hazards on the road that you wouldn't of before........and you also have to give a running commentary of what's going on round about you and in the distance.....any hazards on the road like roadworks,cyclist's that sort of thing.

Hope this helps

Kenny

·
Registered
239 Posts
Scott, I did my test on the Cairn'o'mount road in early january a few years ago.
The commentary went something like: Driving slowly due to the snow, snow and even more snow.

Got it for free from my old work so they could get cheap insurance for company cars.

Didn't make F... All difference to my car insurance though.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
they have a web addy

i am a member but have never gone to a meet :eek: lmao

party because they never got back to me about joining the local club and wont tell me when their meets r :(

oh well its not as if i needed that £60 anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hmmm, my commentary would be something like
entering 30 zone at 30mph. approaching roundabout
HOLY ****, LOOK AT THE ARSE ON THAT.
Don't think they'd want that kind of commentary though.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I had a go at that for abit.

A mate wanted to do it so I thought I may as well. My mums a member. (thought I might get insurance discount but no)

Theary is good but I knew alot of it already. This is worth going to. Could save you from some accidents.

I didn;t get on very well with the practical though due to

• having an 20XE which didn't like being driven slowly
  • They don't like you taking the racing line through bends which I couldn't get on with.
  • I drove too slowly (well I couldn't drive like I normally do)
  • I was so pissed off after the lessons that I would then drive the car like it was stolen
What with that, and the reality that I wasn't going to get an insurnace discount I gave up.

My mate passed though and bacame an instructor. (and all I can say is that they can't have very high standards)

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Andy K said:
I had a go at that for abit.

A mate wanted to do it so I thought I may as well. My mums a member. (thought I might get insurance discount but no)

Theary is good but I knew alot of it already. This is worth going to. Could save you from some accidents.

I didn;t get on very well with the practical though due to

• having an 20XE which didn't like being driven slowly
  • They don't like you taking the racing line through bends which I couldn't get on with.
  • I drove too slowly (well I couldn't drive like I normally do)
  • I was so pissed off after the lessons that I would then drive the car like it was stolen
What with that, and the reality that I wasn't going to get an insurnace discount I gave up.

My mate passed though and bacame an instructor. (and all I can say is that they can't have very high standards)
The Courses round my way don't run very frequently, and I missed it so just did observed drives (costs nothing above the Local group and IAM fee - £25 total)

I did my practicals in a Belmont SXi with a very light flywheel, which practically stalled when you let off the throttle!!

Driving that smoothly during gear changes was, erm quite difficult!!
Lots of holding revs on the throttle!!

Passed OK though, and now have a smooth V6 with a huuuge flywheel, so I now have no problems with smooth gears.

IAM insurance isn't as cheap is you'd expect, and I got cheaper elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts