Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my europeans friends!
I need get off from web some time, but now im back. And yes, i continuos with only 8 valves in head... :eek: .. I didn't have money for make my dream change to 16V. My turbine brokes( i think make overspeed because the high pressure), i need buy other turbine, and my money goes down.. Now i using a bigger turbo, A/R. 50 cold, A/R. 63 hot, Garret. Really nice turbo, much more power(don't make so hot the air pressurized).
And now i have the curious.. Somebody here know how much pressure or power, the standard C20NE Rods can resists without crash? Because i stay with forged competition pistons, but i continuos with standard rods. I crashed 2 rods in my former engine, now i have some fear for put pressure again. I stay with 14,5 psi all te time, and 22 psi in overboost.

Thanks for any information!

cheers,

Matheus S. Almeida

·
Registered
38,604 Posts
Re: Im back!! C20NE subject!

Why not get some Turbo rods. There are some for sale in the for sale forum. I wouldn't have thought it would cost a huge amount to send them over.

Welcome back too Matheus :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Im back!! C20NE subject!

Hello Simon!! Thank you!
I seeing int he sale forum, and i didn´t saw rods of let to sell, but i will continuos seeing. The problem is the money of Brazil is much cheaper than money of your country. If some things costs there 100, translated, here will cost 350.
The Let rods resists a lot of power? How much? Are not same rods of C20XE?

cheers!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
hey Matheus..... welcome back!!!

Did you say you have broken some conrods already in another NE engine? What power were you running then?

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Careful Matheus, the 16V rods have a different gudgeon pin to the 8v rods, so you would need to get the LET rods machined to be able to fit them to your pistons! or get your pistons machined to fit the 16V floating gudgeon pin arrangement.

If you de-seam them, and then get them shot peened, they will be less prone to fail.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hi Matheus!

Brian_S said:
Careful Matheus, the 16V rods have a different gudgeon pin to the 8v rods, so you would need to get the LET rods machined to be able to fit them to your pistons! or get your pistons machined to fit the 16V floating gudgeon pin arrangement.

If you de-seam them, and then get them shot peened, they will be less prone to fail.
The gudgeon pin in the 16v is the same diameter and length as the 8v one. You don't need to get your pistons machined, just use teflon buttons to locate the pin. I'm designing some for my turbo 8v.

It's a good idea to treat the rods as Brian_S has suggested.

The limit for the stock 8v rods seems to be around 250hp.

:beer:

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
as some wise person once said, this thread is useless without pictures.

come on bud, get the pictures up. lets see what you've been up too

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Matheus..... welcome back!!!
Did you say you have broken some conrods already in another NE engine? What power were you running then?
Thank you friend! Well, here in Brazil, dyno test is not easy like there, then, i don´t know the power exactly of my engine. But with 14.5psi i beat easy, easy..easy(now i stay with Vectra CD gearbox, really wide) a old model BMW M3, and my digital speedometer puts 250km/h with 14.5 psi, and 270km/h with overboost. The man of M3 stop me in gas post and ask to me: "what hell do you have under the hood of this Kadett??? "..hehehe, i love listen this. Off-course have a gross error of speedometer, but im happy with perfomance. The M3 stay so bad in compare with me in both perfomances, acelerate and end speed. But, the rods only crash when i active the overboost. Now i have fear to running in overboost again.

Hi matheus,
Do you think the heat from the boost kill the rods?
Hello friend. I don´t understand. What you mean with heat? Much hot the air? Maybe if the air are so hot, will melt the pistons, not the rod i think. The rods not melt, this crash.

Hello big friend Brian!
Well, i don´t understand again. Because my forged pistons, are 16V model(XE) ones, and i using my 8V pin/rods in this without problem. Only the Let have diferent pin or the XE have too? And the question, the 16V rods of XE have the same resistance of Let ones?

The limit for the stock 8v rods seems to be around 250hp.
hum.. its so low power. I need change this rods urgent.

as some wise person once said, this thread is useless without pictures.
Yeah, i would like see the pictures of diferences of pin of 8V and 16V, i don´t understand exactly where this diference.

Thank you friends!

Matheus S. Almeida

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
hmmmmm, now I'm stumped! lol. If your already using 16v pistons, then ignore my comment. The LET and XE pins are definately the same. I always thought that one was an interference fit, and one was a floating gudgeon pin design.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul Baldwin said:
Hey Matheus glad to hear your little 8v kadette is giving big BMW's problems. :)
hehehe.. yeah.. the Litle Kadett here in Brazil make a terror for expensive cars! Now, i trying mark a street race with Mitsubish 3000GT VR4, but the owner don´t like street races... :rolleyes:

hmmmmm, now I'm stumped! lol. If your already using 16v pistons, then ignore my comment. The LET and XE pins are definately the same. I always thought that one was an interference fit, and one was a floating gudgeon pin design.
Yes Brian, i using 16V pistons model. But now you make me scare. This can make me some problem?

cheers!

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Maybe PM Tom Stickland to see what he had done to his 8v pistons to fit the 16V rods he is using. ( He has/had an 8V head on a 16v bottom end ). I'm sure he ran with 8v pistons because of the valve cutouts.

Anyway, he should have some info for you...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian_S said:
Maybe PM Tom Stickland to see what he had done to his 8v pistons to fit the 16V rods he is using. ( He has/had an 8V head on a 16v bottom end ). I'm sure he ran with 8v pistons because of the valve cutouts.

Anyway, he should have some info for you...

Thank for the tip Brian. But can use 16V pistons with 8V head(my case), the valves cutouts not are the problem, the 8V and 16V pistons don´t have valve cutouts, the 8V pistons have a depression in top, for get lower CR, because have small chamber, and the 16V pistons have complet top, and litle taller than 8V pistons in top, because 16V have hemisferical chamber, big area, and need taller piston to compense it. And the big problem for use 16V pistons in 8V head, is the stupid CR, for aspirated engine, are so good, for turbo, can´t, then i using a really thick gasket(3mm). With standard gasket(1mm), my compressio test shows 260 psi, lol.. Now, its show 190 psi.

cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.