Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have Corsa Gsi With a C20xe Redtop engine in.
The Engine is an Early Astra Gte Engine which is non lambda and no cat.
I currently Have the Following Modifications:
Fully Rebuilt Engine
Ported and Polished Head
Lexmaul Big bore Exhaust Manifold
Straight threw Powerflow Exhaust System
Enlarged Throttle Body
Enlarged Standard Inlet Manifold to match throttle body
Powercap
Courtney Group N Rally Chip
Viper piper x Cold air feed induction.
Quaife Limited Slip Diff
anyone got a rough idea of what power i might be currently running with the mods i have as i have still not rolling roaded my car yet.

Eventualy i want to get some AST1612 Cams which claim 16bhp increase on kent cam website.

what sort of power would i be running with the cams and also what else could i do to get my engine running 200bhp without webbers, bike carbs throttle boddies turbo or supercharger just standard injection.
all help and views wil be appreciated :thumb:

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
Re: I Want 200bhp from a C20xe? Help Please / suggestions

If you want the cheapest, easiest, quickest, most reliable and most tuneable answer...

Fit a C20LET

However, if you love revvy, powerful naturally aspirated engines and want reliability...

Buy a Civic Type-R

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I Want 200bhp from a C20xe? Help Please / suggestions

thanks for your input but i have spent alot of money on my car and would like to tune what i have already, eventually i will be getting a nissan pulsar GTIR when i can afford the insurance, im 22 with 4 years ncb and at the moment everything declared on my car only costs me £970 fully comp for the year

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
your insurance isn't too bad, i dare say your not far off 200hp now buddy, only thing left really is fit carbs or nitrous then you'll definately have 200 hp.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at a guess i think im at about 175-180bhp.
and reason i dont want to fit webberes is because i have had Twin 45 webbers on this engine before and yes they are immense, you cannot beat the sound of webbers, but your pocket certainly knows about it, i was getting around 15-20 miles to the gallon out of it and plus you have to get them re tuned every 6-8 weeks which was a minimum of £100 a throw, i had stand alone management and and higher lift cams and i have a print out of 236bhp, i got rid of my whole set up because it was just to exspensive to run and tb's are exspensive to buy and set up originally but yes they are good but if i wanted that sort of power i would put a c20let in as they are easier to tune. i was just hoping there was a way to get 200bhp on standard injection. plus this is my 1 and only vehicle i own and i use it as a daily driver.

as for insurance yes thats good its with adrian flux and it includes breakdown cover, key cover, legal cover, windscreen cover basically everything with a 5000 miles a year limit

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
plus you have to get them re tuned every 6-8 weeks which was a minimum of £100 a throw
There was something wrong then mate, they dont need retuning unless something is broken or you change the engine spec.
The going out of tune thing is rumour spread by people who have no clue what they are talking about

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
balancing carbs is a diy task, once there jetted and choke set up they should only need balanced now and again.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
carbs are always a compromise somewhere in the rev range with fuelling though, TBs are superior in every way that makes a performance/driveability difference, you can get 200 bhp on a single throttle with a well designed plenum though...

but for your spec, some tbs and fairly decent cams with pocketed pistons or if you can afford it, some high comp omegas or similar will get you 200 easy

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
ast 1612 cams are ****e, had an engine with them in and then ran with standard cams, with headwork, jenvey dth bodies, rods, pistons, made [email protected] with 1612s at about 7.3k. tried the standard [email protected] at 6.5k peak, but had more torque and power up to its rev limit than with the kent cams.

pistons, r1 carbs, 270newman cams and decent ex mani and system should see about 215-220bhp at flywheel, and as been pointed out cabr s setup properly wont need checking or redoing ever 6-8weeks, and tbs can also go out of sync on the throttles. but as lee has said they are far better to give you your peak power but still retain lower down driveability where as carbs are either low/mid or mid/peak ranges.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
No way you should be getting anything like 15mpg with carbies, unless you spend 90% of your time in traffic, idling!
Driven the same way, you should be getting close to the same MPG as with the EFI - usual things are failure to set the carb's up and often overlooked is the importance of getting the ignition side set up properly - most will use a simple mechanical curve distributor option - this is at best a compromise and at worst also has no additional advance for part throttle - you really need an ignition only ECU which will accurately match the ignition timing to what's actually required under power AND allows accurate mapping of the additional advance for part throttle as well - this can make a BIG difference in mileage and can pay back the additional expense very quickly!
As has been said, once set, carbies shouldn't need readjustment - just use a decent mechanism for linking them and a good fuel filter and you should be right.

However, as has been said, throttle bodies would be the optimum answer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your thoughts, looks like the ast1612s are a bad route to go down and would be better off saving the money for higher comp oversize pistons and better cams to start with then last resort of power seems to be what everyone keeps saying throttle bodies on management dont really want to go back to webers again although they do sound immense

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Personally, I went TBs first, that way you get the biggest benefit straight away - more torque, not just at the top end, either.
Depending on what you use, you may find you can download a map for the current engine spec and, later, one for the new pistons and cams (or at least close which saves setup time on the dyno)- I'd leave those until you're happy pulling the engine down for a full rebuild - pistons, head clean up, cams and rods - the last to be safer at high rpm. I wouldn't even consider cam's until a set of high compression pistons with deeper valve pockets were in the engine as otherwise you'll be severely restricted on what you can fit without clearance issues.
In the meantime, a set or ARP rods and a windage tray, if not fitted, would be safe insurance to 7k5 or so.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Forgot, don't forget to check on other's experience fitting the various TB setups, as there may be clearance issues with some, depending on the vehicle design - I had them in a Chevette, so no worries with clearance, even with the air box fitted.
I STRONGLY recommend some for of air litration too - I'm paranoid about engines swallowing something as it'd be very expensive...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally, I went TBs first, that way you get the biggest benefit straight away - more torque, not just at the top end, either.
Depending on what you use, you may find you can download a map for the current engine spec and, later, one for the new pistons and cams (or at least close which saves setup time on the dyno)- I'd leave those until you're happy pulling the engine down for a full rebuild - pistons, head clean up, cams and rods - the last to be safer at high rpm. I wouldn't even consider cam's until a set of high compression pistons with deeper valve pockets were in the engine as otherwise you'll be severely restricted on what you can fit without clearance issues.
In the meantime, a set or ARP rods and a windage tray, if not fitted, would be safe insurance to 7k5 or so.
Hi all I know this chat is year old but I need bit of help just had a engine built. And I’ve done a compression test and it’s 240 on each. Cylinder is this to high ? Thanks dean

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello!

Just wanted to share my two buildups on the c20xe that sat in my manta the past 15 years. The first one had enlarged Tb, schrick 276 cams, ported and polish head, microtch standalone ecu, stock pistons. Made 152hp at the wheels. After 5 years installed Itbs and only made 1 extra whp. Probably because i had the same compression.
Second setup was 2017, installed 88mm 12Cr pistons, h beam rods, 288 newman cams, supertech dual valve springs, still on 48mm itbs, 550 lbs injectors, custom 2-4-1 headers and 2.5” straight thru exhaust. Made 183 whp with 8500rpm limit. Thats an extra 30 whp due to cams and compression.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts