Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this stuff for sale for the first time yesterday, but no-where could I see an octane rating for it. Nothing on the pump, nozzle or any of the adverts so I didnt bother buying it.

Did a little digging and it turns out the BP Ultimate being sold in this country is just 97 RON.
That would be just the same as the old super unleaded then.:rolleyes: Except it costs more. :rolleyes:
So, the expensive advertising about the launch of this new fuel turns out to have just been an expensive re-branding excercise and an excuse to put the price up another few pence.

So, with "Ultimate" being just 97 RON, and "Optimax" only guaranteed to be 95 RON and "Maybe" slightly more, people are being fooled into paying more for these new fuels that arent any better than the old ones.

Sadly, the British public are too stupid/apathetic to do anything about it and will no doubt contine to buy it, at over-inflated prices.

My next cars going to be a diesel.

:mad:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Continent, BP sell 100RON fuel, and there were as many roumours that this Ultimate was going to be this higher octane fuel finally being sold here. It was advertised as a revolutionary new fuel. Obviously not.

I just e-mailed BP this...

Surely Ultimate is just an expensive re-branding of the old super-unleaded? Your website makes lots of comparisons between Ultimate and 95RON fuel, but there is no mention of any comparison between Ultimate and 97RON super unleaded.
Now that Super Unleaded is no longer available at BP stations, is this "new" fuel just an excuse to put the price of 97RON fuel up another few pence?

Ill see what they say about it.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
but if it really is just the old super renamed, its still better than opticrap. if i wanted 95 stuffed with octane booster i'd make it myself.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its 5p a litre more here too, thats my main beef.
So, with Shell selling optimax, which is just 95RON, and BP ultimate being very expensive 97 ron, what am I supposed to do for 97RON petrol now?
I dont know if Esso sell 97ron fuel, their station here doesnt stock it anyway.
I am left with the choice of either 95ron, optimax or paying over the odds for ultimate.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
David Dickson said:
My next cars going to be a diesel.

:mad:

BP Ultimate are new generation fuels. BP Ultimate is available in both diesel and unleaded petrol. These fuels deliver more performance, with less pollution. Moreover, they deliver improved efficiency and a cleaner engine as they clean valves and fuel injectors sprays. By doing this it results in fewer harmful emissions.

At last, diesel customers have a choice.

BP is the first company to offer a separate diesel fuel formulated to get the full performance out of your diesel engine within the UK. This is especially true if your vehicle has one of today's advanced technology engines. You'll find this totally new fuel will significantly improve your vehicle's performance - from the way it accelerates to the amount of noise it makes.
BP Ultimate diesel also significantly reduces the amount of black smoke and toxic emissions from your exhaust.

All benefits are compared to regular fuel of typical UK quality. Whilst some benefits are noticeable on many car types quite quickly, for full benefits to be delivered we recommend continuous use of BP Ultimate for at least five tankfuls.

availible here:-

Culter Filling Station
North Deeside Road
ABERDEEN
Aberdeenshire
AB14 0QL
01224 733104

Deeside Filling Station
Great Western Road
ABERDEEN
Aberdeenshire
AB10 7PA
01224 311447

Esplanade Service Station
North Esplanade West
ABERDEEN
Aberdeenshire
AB11 5RN
01224 571505

King Street Filling Station
King Street
ABERDEEN
Aberdeenshire
AB24 1SD
01224 276301

etc

LOL lmao

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Whats all the fuss over, just buy cheap unleaded at 95 ron, my car still drives as fast so why bother for 97 ron ?

All this stuff that fuel makes ya car faster (within reason guys, not nos or aeroplane fuel etc) a few ron dont do much, its like saying removing ya spare wheel gave you an extra 10 mile an hour.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Rig said:
Whats all the fuss over, just buy cheap unleaded at 95 ron, my car still drives as fast so why bother for 97 ron ?

All this stuff that fuel makes ya car faster (within reason guys, not nos or aeroplane fuel etc) a few ron dont do much, its like saying removing ya spare wheel gave you an extra 10 mile an hour.
Mine doesnt go noticeably faster, but I get at least an extra 50 miles from a full tank of 97ron over 95ron.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
David Dickson said:
Mine doesnt go noticeably faster, but I get at least an extra 50 miles from a full tank of 97ron over 95ron.

Same ere, i get about an extra 20-25

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
David Dickson said:
how much extra do you spend for those 50 miles? i mean... is it cost effective?

my tank holds 60 litres, and it's what? 10p per litre more for the optiwotsit? is it? that would be 6 quid for 50 miles.

if thats the case, i reckon it's not worth it. i can get 250 miles from 21 quids worth of 95 ron fuel, thats around 4 quid for 50 miles (i think..._)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
David Dickson said:
Yeah its 5p a litre more here too, thats my main beef.
So, with Shell selling optimax, which is just 95RON, and BP ultimate being very expensive 97 ron, what am I supposed to do for 97RON petrol now?
I dont know if Esso sell 97ron fuel, their station here doesnt stock it anyway.
I am left with the choice of either 95ron, optimax or paying over the odds for ultimate.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Try texaco super mate if you can find it. According to a couple of my friends there petrol is fair superior to any other "super" petrol. They drive a skyline gtr and evo and both of their det sensors show this too be the best, also both fly on this stuff!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Try texaco super mate if you can find it. According to a couple of my friends there petrol is fair superior to any other "super" petrol.
Texaco is a subsidary of ESSO and both use the same petrol.

There are basically 3 companies which supply fuel to the UK. ESSO, BP, AND SHELL.

Each sells to all the other names you find.

JET, FINA, Q8 and a few other smaller outlets all use SHELL.

TEXACO and TOTAL use ESSO,

Supermarkets use Eastern Block fuels, which are primarily designed for the 91 Ron continent market.
These are upgraded in the UK to UK specs by using Butane gas.
Hence to avoid.

BP Ultimate is just its old Super grade cleaned up a bit.
IE. It goes through another filter at the refinery.
Not a bad fuel though, second only to ESSO in quality.
Its Diesel is the best in the world for all you Diesel owners.

OPTICRAP. Need i say more. All grades supplied by Shell.
Might as well fill from your local FINA station and pop a bottle of Halfarts octane super duper booster plus in.

ESSO 95 and 97 = If you want every pennies worth in quality petrol, look no further.
Get it at your local TOTAL, TEXACO or ESSO now :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts