Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above just wondering how much it takes, i'me considering a litre a side maybe 2.5 or 3litres to do the whole car.

I really want to do 3 coats.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Buy more than you think you need, because no two paint batches are exactly the same. If, say in a year, you need to spray a new panel or touch up an area, you'l know you'll have an exact colour match for your car.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whats wrong with white ?

i've already got a litre & a half going to get some more

37 pound a litre is quite good all 2k.

EDIT: are you talking about using base then laquer ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nothing wrong with white, my cars white!
Yeah I meant base then lacquer. But a couple more litres should by plenty provided the cars white already, just thinking about coverage.

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Got my last paint invoice here:

I went for the cheap Base coat (£19 a litre rather than £49 a litre for practice) and Cellulose Ready for use laquer cos the 2 pack lacquer is really nasty, and I only have a Charcoal respirator, not an air fed.

1 litre Ready for use Laquer £10.72
1 Litre Basecoat thinner £4.77
1 Litre Adhesion Promoter £15.64
1/2 Litre Basecoat Polyester £12.39 each (3 different Metallics)

All + VAT.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
captain fantastic said:
as above just wondering how much it takes, i'me considering a litre a side maybe 2.5 or 3litres to do the whole car.

I really want to do 3 coats.
If you are using 2K direct gloss (ie not base/clear) then 3 litres will be more than enough. By the time you have added hardener and thinner you will have 4-4.5 litres (as I guide I used about 3.5 litres ready for use to do 2 coats of the Mustang).
As said, it makes sense to get a bit extra in case you ever need to do any touch-ups/repairs.

I don't see any reason why you would need 3 coats by the way. (Unless your spraying is less than brilliant and you are expecting to do a lot of flatting/polishing!!

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they dont do polyester primer anymore so i have 2k filler primer.
cellulose is to thin.

1 litre & half of base white 2k ,$37
2 litres of 2k thiners $14
1 litre of extra rapid hardener $14

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on how well it lays as i was spraying on the filler primer but found i put to much hardener in so as soon as it hit the metal it dryed but it was very hot at the time. I've just done the boot & door thinned it out more added 20ml of hardener instead of 50ml & added 50ml of thinner to 600ml of primer.
This is thick stuff though & wont be like spraying the paint on which should be easier as its alot thinner. I'm doing it outside though or maybe in a garage, i thought about making a wood frame & wrapping it in polythene for a cover but would probably blow over lol.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
captain fantastic said:
The colour ok solid paint then
OK. Just checking.

A word of warning (could be too late now though!!) - don't change around the activation ratio otherwise the paint will not cure properly and have terrible durability properties.

If the paint is drying too quickly it is because the thinner is too 'fast'. You need to get a slower thinner and a hardener to match. As a rough rule, anything called 'express' or 'fast' is likely to be best used 0-15 degrees or on very small areas. 'normal' or 'medium' is best 15-25ish degrees and 'slow' is best for 20-30 degrees.

Mike

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are all matching stuff they gave it to me its just i was spraying filler primer & didnt know how much hardner to put it. It a 3.5 litre with 500ml of extra rapid hardener.

Maximayer stuff ....spelling.

I'm spraying parts at a time one side then the other as its outside flies & all i really want a garage.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Find out exactly how much hardener you need for x amount of primer - it is very important that you mix the correct amounts. And they should sell different hardeners and thinners to go with the primer/topcoat that have different solvencies depending upon temperature.

Mike

ps. Do you have the paint code of the primer, hardener and thinner? I can try to find out mixing ratios and which hardener/thinner would be ideal.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hold on i'll go to the garage...all they gave me for the primer was rapid hardener as i think you need a special gun for it so i just thinned it & it seems fine.

I've got all the measuring cups to

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahah i see theyve ticked solid colour on the tin. Is a base coat something you would use laquer over.

The thinners are maxmeyer 4310 2k 1.911.4310

maxmeyer ms extra rapid hardener 1.954.8000

hs filler 3011

5:1 mix

two pack acrylic fill hs grey

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
OK. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow. Only mix it 5:1. Adding thinners shouldn't be too much of a problem, although obviously you will get a lower film thickness than you would without it. But extra rapid hardener is almost certainly too fast for the temperatures at the moment. Make sure it doesn't go off in the gun!!

What size fluid tip do you have in the gun?

Mike

1 - 20 of 45 Posts