Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1.4 mk2 astra starmist, with standard 14" alloys. I want to upgrade my suspension- How low can i go without making my 14's look silly?- also whats the best value for money shocks and springs?

P.S.- whose got the best slammed car here?

·
Registered
803 Posts
My GTE was lowered 65mm on 15" speedlines it drove ok after the arches were rolled, no rubbing from the wheels. The problem came when encountering anything more than a painted white line in the road, i used to spend most weekends repainting my splitter and redrilling the mounts that had been ripped off.
I would say 40mm is a useable drop and still looks noticeably lower. I used Knoni gas shocks and Jamex springs, the ride was very solid with no give in the front at all, every little bump fely like youd gone over a mountain........If you look in max power they have some good deals on springs and shock sets. You could get away with standard shocks up to about 40mm after this you risk bursting them, uprated gas shocks would be a better option.
A guy round the corner from me has his golf gti lowered 85mm, you can only just get your hand under it , it was built as a show car and doesnt go very far......... suprise suprise..... :)

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
Unless your planning a 'euro style' look dropping your car around your 14's wont look good unless you wack on a mega wide arch kit , in which case I dare say your wheels would want changing anyway and spacing out to fill the arches. Dropping your car is great and with 14's on you could go really low yeah but why would you want to??? Think about it have you ever seen an Astra dropped 80+mm on a set of 14' rims? With a standard body...I dont want to sound like a killjoy but why not wait till you are ready to change your wheels then do the lot? If you dont it will just look like youve got a lot of stuff in the boot!!!and if youve not got the wheels or body styling to back it up there isnt much point mate. Patience is a virtue...god knows I should know!!! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
i know its a different car but i dropped me nova 60mm on 13's and i had trouble gettin over speed bumps with people in my car, kept catchin the exhaust. i couldnt even get a trolley jack underneath it!

ive got a set of 15's on now though and it looks loads better and im not bottomin out everywhere i go!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
no im not a member, i just pop on here every now an then when i need a bit of help.

my nova:

basically a 1.3 sr now, started life as an antibes. full spec is on my site

[ 15-07-2001: Message edited by: bleasy ]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to change the standard wheels on my car coz i like 'em!(i think they're the best standard alloys you can get on the mk2/3 Astra!) I reckon that if i uprated the suspension it would drive even better. I was thinking of lowering it just a little bit- 30-40mm. Apart from looks what are bigger wheels for? If i was to get some 15's or 16's i would'nt notice any improvement to handling- Same for tyre profile too-i think my tyres are perfectly wide enough in profile- any wider and it would hinder performance!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
SXI 8 spoke wheels i assume, i'm the same and do like those wheels however i wouldn't mind something better.
I've had to order my suspension this week as my rear nearside spring is suffering and makes the car ride domwn on that side, I've gone for a spring and damper kit £215
-35mm.

Mike.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the info. mike. Yes they are the 8 spoke- brilliant for a 1.4 starmist. Depends how heavily modded your car is- you can get to a certain point where you have to get a wheel change purely for looks.My car looks pretty much standard styling-wise.So i'm happy with the wheels- but not the suspension.
What make are the springs and dampers you're getting and where you getting them from- sounds quite good! Also what car have you got?Is it the SXi?

:cool: :D :D

[ 15-07-2001: Message edited by: ian j ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.