Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1019 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right I'm starting this thread so anyone who has done this conversion, or is thinking of doing it can post here for all to see the results:nod:

So I'll start then, I have a MK1 astra that I want to run on bike carbs but I'm not that clued up about how to go about it so anyone that has done this please post as much info as poss:beer:

NEEDS
  1. Dizzy of a 8v 1.6/1.8/2.0(advancable)
  2. Coil for same dizzy
  3. Electric fuel pump(facet/R1)
  4. Inlet manifold custom(Bogg Bros)
  5. Bike carbs R1/blackbirds/zzr1100/firebldes?
Please feel free to correct me if any of this info is wrong, as stated at the begining not that clued up about it all yet:D

Please post as much photo info as poss as well:beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you can afford them then a set of flat side carbs may be better for this i paid over £500 for a set of 40mm flat slides for a bike i had

·
MIGClub Member
15,237 Posts
Everything you need to know incl contacts is in the Nov (IIRC) Total Vauxhall. Green Calibra on the fr cover.

The Yamaha fuel pump is best & only £35 or so.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What engine is it?
If its a carb engine then your dizzy/coil should work fine.
C20XE, (paid £80 for full engine and box only to find out later it's a Coscast head:D)
It's in bits at the mo but will be rebuilt with new everything and a rebore to 2.1:nod:
possably with cams:confused: If poss & cheap:D

Read some where that poeple have bought carbs and drilled the jets out to 1.8mm but how would this work if the needles haven't been changed??

·
Registered
696 Posts
bogg brothers specialize in these mods mate they know there stuff

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh spoke to them they said that the carbs to go for are zzr1100, blackbirds or R1's as all these are readly available, but any would be good so long as there more than 36mm throttles as twin 45 WEBERS are only 36mm on full throttle, so also been looking at zx9's as these are 40mm:D, but I'm a mizer and are trying to keep the cost down as much as posslmao

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Thought the inlet in a standard xe was 38mm.

Weber 45s have changeable a venturi so they can be made bigger if the head is tuned.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
most people get bogg bros (now turning into rip off merchants since their rise to fame in various mags) to do all the work, so i doubt there are many people that have done all the work themselves to post an accurate how to guide...

how about you get the stuff and do it then post a full on how 2...

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
most people get bogg bros (now turning into rip off merchants since their rise to fame in various mags)
lmao

madads-A mk2 cav 1.6 dizzy and coil will sort the ignition side of things for you.

The jets are just drilled out to give the correct size.

You could get a bogg bros inlet but i'd bet a local alloy fabrication place could knock you something up(working from an inlet gasket etc), and charge less than bogg bros.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lmao

madads-A mk2 cav 1.6 dizzy and coil will sort the ignition side of things for you.

The jets are just drilled out to give the correct size.

You could get a bogg bros inlet but i'd bet a local alloy fabrication place could knock you something up(working from an inlet gasket etc), and charge less than bogg bros.
Hi I have got the dizzy and coil already:nod:, I also work where they fabricate stuff out of alloy & s/s:D
Also there is 2 blokes that rent a space of my boss so they can make Jets for frying machines and other machines:beer:

does anyone know what size the jets need to be drilled too:confused: and what do I do about the needles(do they need to be bigger for the jets:confused:) once read some where the jets are drilled at 1.8mm but not sure??

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hello all
Don't come on here much, but will do so more in future, conversation is generally more adult than some other Nova websites I could mention. LOL

I've bought two sets of R1 carbs, the idea being to put one set on an 8v 1400 with the GSI head(bigger valves and round ports) and the other set on a 1400 16v XE.

I know that everyone seems to want to use Bogg Bros for the inlet on these conversions.
But,I want to see what I can do with the standard manifolds from the above engines and hopefully won't have to reposition the alternator.

So first off I need a parts list:
1400 8V GSI inlet manifold
Air filter
R1 carbs
Ignition system
Throttle cable
Choke cable
Breathing system and Servo take off pipe

The theory bit
Inlet:
On a standard inlet for the 1400 8V will have the tubes cut off and be replaced with new tubes sourced from a fabrication shop locally to me.
Need to examine how long and what angle these need to be so as to NOT have to reposition the alternator.

Air filter
I managed to get an R1 air box with the carbs, this will give me a template to use an aftermarket universal air filter fit the carbs

Ignition
I have two options, use a standard 1400 SR coil, distributor and amp OR use the MEGA cheap Megajolt junior mapped ignition system.
Cost reasons would dictate that I use the SR system, but with the MJ system costing about £150.00 all in and with me wanting to learn how to map an engine, I'm going for the MJ.
There are two systems available on this setup, One reads load via a Throttle positional sensor, mounted on the spindle of the carbs(the R1's come with this attached, while the other use manifold pressure.
Guess what I'm going for?

Throttle/choke cables
Not too much of an issue here, just visit a local company that specializes in this line of work,
about £35.00 should see both cable sorted.

Breathing system
Haven't given this too much thought just now, will need to see If I want to run a servo take off pipe, it will mean that I might have to block off the servo pipe attachment at the servo and push the brake pedal harder( don't think this should be a problem as all the rally cars I've had in the past had no servo assistance), or I could convert the Nova to a Corsa pedal box(this means moving the battery and may be more work than I want to do to a road car)OR I could fit a rally car pedal box(more work again).
Will look into how I could tap into the standard SR breather box, shouldn't be too much of an issue here.

Will get some pics and supplier names and contacts up soon.

Any thoughts/advice or criticism is welcomed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

on ya pic click the right mouse button then copy, on here click the yellow pic^^^^in the tool bar on advanced post, then paste...:beer: worked for me;);) nice carbs bet they weren't cheap tho:nod:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Tried that, it didn't work, will have a play later.
The carbs were NOT too dear,I paid £105.00 posted to me, for both sets.
I got so fed up with the prices rocketing on gay bay that I started searching other car forums and used the search functions in the for sale threads, I found these on my first attempt on a Mini website.
May work for others
How are you getting on with your conversion madads?

1 - 20 of 1019 Posts