Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Astra mk3, I've got two un-housed switches which are currently just hanging around loose.
So what I've decided to do it put a plate over the top of the rubbish bin (near to the *** lighter) and insert the switches into that. All good so far. Until it comes to wiring it in. Where there is a small clear plastic "thingy" (presumably for a non-existent light?) in the bin in the corner, I've popped that out, and was going to run the wires into the bin to the switches thru that.
However, to get the cables there, there are no holes in the plastic behind, and no way to get it via the *** lighter unit, so the only solution I can see is to simply drill a hole through the behind-panel.

(Have I lost you?) I'm just wondering if anyone has any better solutions before I hack it to bits. If i can I'll get some picures up.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeh Ive made a custom control panel for that area- I used 6mm mdf and secured it in to cover the bin and *** lighter (never used it anyway) and covered the mdf in material to match car interior (blue). Got 3 chrome switches in there, boot release button and engine start button.

I drilled a small hole in the corner where the flat bottom bit meets the bin for the wires. Goodluck and have fun :beer:

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
make the mdf a very very tight fit!! if its a tight enoguh fit you may get a way with not having to glue it in. That way you can just pop it out if you need to change wires fi thats what u want to do? I dunno what the astra interior looks like but that may work?

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it kind-of works. I've had to make two bits of thin MDF sheet to go down the sides to hold it on place, but it's functional and working.

The only two related problems i've come across are one- the maximum height/protrusion of anything must come on or below the level of the top of them bin, due to the metal flap majobby which comes down. Even wit this removed, it won't fit as it is already a very snug fit.

Secondly but less importantly, there are some random (presumably strengthening) ribs on the inside which just **** things up even more and make it a pain in the arse to work around!

At the mo' I've just got some standard on/off rocker switches, but in order to keep it flat for the space reason, I'm looking for some flat sliders, or very very very very low level rockers. Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.