Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this bloody anoying high pitch scream coming out of my speakers and when i accelerate it gets higher pitched

is this because the phono leads are next to the power cable/speaker cable by any chance? its only coming out of the back speakers though

and if it is how do you get around it without moving the wires as ive no where else to put them

any gen would much appriciated! cheers peeps

G

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Just make these checks

-Power (big red cable/s) and remote cable run down the left side (shortest distance from battery to boot)

- Signal cable from head unit (RCA's) are run down the right side (biggest distance from the power cable/s)

- And if you need to bring extra speaker cables from the boot to the front, it is advised to run down the centre console.

If they are correct and still makes engine whine (e.g from alternator, spark plugs), you can either put a interference supressor inline with the head unit wiring + live, or you can put one inline with the amp power cable/s if it is a fairly low powered system with smallish power cables. But if you have a high powered system with large power cables this surpressor cannot be used inline with the amp power cable/s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
stereo_rob said:
Just make these checks

-Power (big red cable/s) and remote cable run down the left side (shortest distance from battery to boot)

- Signal cable from head unit (RCA's) are run down the right side (biggest distance from the power cable/s)

- And if you need to bring extra speaker cables from the boot to the front, it is advised to run down the centre console.

If they are correct and still makes engine whine (e.g from alternator, spark plugs), you can either put a interference supressor inline with the head unit wiring + live, or you can put one inline with the amp power cable/s if it is a fairly low powered system with smallish power cables. But if you have a high powered system with large power cables this surpressor cannot be used inline with the amp power cable/s.
If one wanted to try and correct the problem instead of just putting in a surpressor how would it be done

George

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Well you have to diagnose the problem first, and if you find it is the power cable causing the interference theres not much you can do apart from using a surpressor. The reason it is best to seperate the power from the signal (RCA) is because the power that is being transfered through the cable causes a magnetic field surround the power cable, and the signal cable pickes this up and transferes it through to the amp which in turn amplifies the interference, causing annoyance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sorry for thread hijacking

rob my power wire is running along the left of the car with RCA running in centre along the console

i think there is enough space between them.
I have a good earth
using good quality cabling

and i still get noise

what should i check around the alternator that night be causing the problem

G

·
Registered
667 Posts
u want them as far away as possible!!! power down left hand side, phonos down right hand side. Make sure cabling is neat in the boot aswell and u dont use excessive amounts of wire. Where is your earth point? I just undid a bolt holding on the rear light cluster and whacked it in there, works fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'm using the seat belt mounting for rear seat as my ground point, i have tried a few different points, including a proper earth point

it driving me mad, i've spent nearly 1500 euros on this system and i'd really like it to work!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts