Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes...

problem started just before Christmas - driving along to work and suddenly lost power to engine (no acceleration at all). Engine still ran but I had to pull over as I couldn't move forward. Sat on side of road for 30 secs or so with foot off accelerator then revved engine and everything fine.
No repeats for about a month (inc. Christmas hols when car not used) then same again (different stretch of road). Nothing again for another 3 weeks then problem became gradually worse. Started happening a couple of times in one journey (although only once or so a week) eventually resulting in my being stranded at a roundabout on a busy dual carriageway in the dark in rush hour! Managed to get it going eventually but not driven it far since.

Does this sound like the fuel filter? Had the fuel pump bracket repaired for the MOT in November - could this be the cause?
If so, any idea how much they cost and is it a DIY job?

I know you guys can help me out - cheers!

(car is a Mk2 1.8 8v gte)

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Not sure but, fuel filters are under a tenner and dead easy to fit, change it anyways if you dont know when it was last done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
had the same problem couple of months ago changed air flow meter no problem since. this was due to water being sucked in from cold air pipe which drops through inner wing not being fastened into front pannel properly. check and see:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Id go with weekenny first and then try the air-flow meter. Had the same symptoms with my old audi, my mates cavvi and my mothers cavvi. All 3 were caused by a build up of rust in the bottom of the tank that makes its way into the fuel filter.
Buy a new one and fit.
You may find the problem relieved in the mean time by running with more petrol in the tank, this technique "fixed" my mums cavvi as I havent got round to replacing the filter yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys

Cheers guys, knew you would come up with pukka advice.

went with weekenny first - changed filter today (under a tenner to buy as weekenny said!) and it seems to have cured problem. Haven't actually run car on road yet but started and idles fine (not rough and lumpy like it did before).

also noted that problem got worse when fuel was low (as Paul said) but forget to mention it in original post.

Hopefully won't need to change airflow meter jgp - but thanks for the advice anyway.

As always 110% from the MIG guys - that's why I come here for advice first!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Glad to hear it helped, theres nothing worse than a car with a gremlin and u dont know when its going to let u down next.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts