Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I Have A 2 Litre 1999 Vectra. And Having Problems With My Water Pressure. The Car Gets Hot And Fan Cuts In But The Temperature Does Not Go Down. I Have Had The Thermostat Changed But Still No Good. I Have Squeezed The Water Pipe Several Times And They Have Felt V Hot And V Spongey. This Morning They Were Hard Until I Opened The Water Bottle With The Car Running And Fan On And Where I Should Of Had To Be Cautious Of Opening It I Didnt Have To, There Was The Tinniest Bit Of Pressure There. Any Ideas? I Am A Taxi Driver And Obviously Need To Get It Working, My Husband Is My Mechanic But He Has Just Had An Operation And Will Be In Hospital For Some Time Yet.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
Looks like your temperature switch usually mounted on the radiator itself may be operating or has started to cut in late, causing a higher temperature, you may need to change the fan switch sensor and for the coming summer it might be worth getting one that operates on a lower temperature like 85 degrees if you can get one, normally they operate quite close to boiling point of nearly 95 degrees, your one may have gone duff and shifted its operating threshold to a higher level, just get one they are so easy to change as you would change a spark plug.

Don't worry about the pressure, as long as you are not loosing the coolant. The lesser the pressure the better it is, higher pressure normally indicates higher temperatures, it is also possible that your temp gauge may also be indicating a wrong temp which uses yet another sensor to measure engine temperature. But I would not do anything unless you were loosing coolant and staem was pouring out of your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Fan Cuts In Just Under 90 But As Soon As It Does The Temperature Goes Straight Up To Over Just Over 90. Then When The Temp Reaches Just Below 90 Again The Fan Goes Off (revs Go Down For A Few Seconds). Would This Cause Low Or No Water Pressure, I Was Thinkin Maybe The Pressurised Filler Cap And Worse Case Water Pump (but Not Noisey Or Anything) But Would Only Be Guessing Like I Did With Thermostat And Would Be Expensive To Elimate Like This. Cheers Claire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Didnt See Second Paragraph, I Have Got To Go From Down South To Leeds On Tuesday Morning You Reackon It Will Be Ok In Traffic Jams!? Not Losing Coolant And No Steam.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
You don't really have a problem, all cars can reach up to 95 degrees and its normal. it would be of a major concern if it reached any higher than 110 degrees to 120 degrees and if your car started to steam up, indicating major problems i.e water pump, bad fan switch, head gasket problems, and equally you would be loosing a lot of coolant.< so don't worry your car's absolutely fine just drive on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts