Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted up earlier in the week about my GSi have a fault code up, i checked and it was for the ICV interrupted.
I tried swapping ICV's etc.
Anyway I decided to investigate today as i'm off work.
So i took the SFi box etc. I checked the plug to the ICV and the plug and wires seem fine.
I followed the loom along and found the the red/wire to the ICv is fried all the way back to the bulk head where it enters the car. Luckily it appears only this wire is damaged.
Now i've tracked the wire accross the top of the injectors and passed the back of the airbox. It then goes into a big loom of wires that all go into the drivers footwell.
Then i lose the wire.
I've stripped inside the foot well and checked the ECU etc.
There is many red/blue wires in the footwell but none appear to be damaged.
Where the hell does this wire go to???
Also i checked the fuses and found the 30amp fuse for the heated rear window is melted a little, but the rear screen still worked yesterday :confused:
Any gen as to why the wire has melted and where the wire goes to???
I needed help asap as i need the car back on the road on tuesday.
Am I right in guessing it's safe to still drive?

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, I've found the the wire going into the ECU. It seems that it's ok the wire is fine once it gets passed the bulkhead. i've traced the wire from the engine bay, and once it get's into the main loom the wire seems fine, no trace of melting. Why hasn't all the wire melted.
It appears the wire at the loom plug near the gearbox has snapped and been touching metal which will be why the wire has melted.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
it didnt get enough current to melt it all the way

You got a spare icv?

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah got a spare ICV that i've cleaned ready.
i'm going to a scrappers tomorrow after work that has got a rear ended GSi in.
Gonna go get as much loom as I can. Also gonna strip any good bits if the price is reasonable.
I think i've got lucky so far with the wire looking ok as it just starts to go through the bulkhead.
I reckon there's enough wire that's good left in the engine bay to connect to part of a different loom from this scrap GSi.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Got an engine loom here i'll swap you for a working icv

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Perhaps it touched the starter motor live. Just splice in a new wire, insulate and secure it properly and see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wire has actually snapped where it plugs into the main loom.
It's certainly touched something.
The plug for the ICV loom has been melted where the pin is.
I want a plug on it.
So i'll chop the wires and plugs required and connect them to the loom and insulate well.

Gaz, is it an astra loom?

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Terry said:
Gaz, is it an astra loom?
yea its had the connector plug choped off the little loom connector(that attches to the body loom) plug but its complete and no cuts on the loom

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
The connector plug is different, its a flat 4 pin rather than 2x2like yours is

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like the Cally type then?
I got one from a Cally the other day. That's not right either.
That isnt just the ICV loom. It has a connector for something else.
Not quite sure what though.
Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
think its to do with traction control if its an astra gsi mate.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Either fit the flat type connector and the bit of extra loom that matches it or get rid of the connector completely and join the wires permenantly. The only reason the connector is there is to allow you to remove the main loom from the car easier.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cant be arsed chopping and connecting a load of wires when i can just do a straight swop.
Gaz i'll see if both ICV's work when all the wiring is sorted and if the spare works ok i'll sort you something out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts