Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in a quandry - been thinking of looking for a Calibra (redtop) for a while now, and currently have a P reg 1.6i mk3 astra. The astra's lovely, running sweetly, and I changed the head gasket on it a couple of months ago. I've had her for two years, but don't do much driving at the moment as I bus to work etc, and thought that maybe getting a more powerful, sleeker car, basically something I will enjoy at the weekends.

Anyway, I've had a look at a few Callys, and yesterday went and saw one fairly close by. It looks fantastic, paintwork is really good considering age. K reg'd, pretty much fsh, mainly vauxhall dealership, toad cat 1 alarm, leather's really good inside, seems to go ok, arches are only a bit rusted, not bubbling all over the place. Needs a cambelt change, and I guess waterpump and all the rollers etc, plus the auxhilliary belts. And the sump's leaking oil, although I've read that this is fairly common on the early XE's?

Anyway, I like it, it's priced at around 800, full MOT and 5 months tax. Done an HPI and it's all clear. Has some wolfrace 15" alloys (pretty much same as standard alloys), and what looks like a non-standard spoiler, but not massively different from the ones I've seen

BUT. Now I'm in two minds. There's nothing wrong with my current car, it's in fantastic condition, I'm just maybe being a bit harsh on the poor girl as she's only the 8v. All works (bar the aircon), and I know exactly what's wrong with it and what isn't. If I buy the Cally, I'd have to let her go, and I don't know if that would be wise, as I'd be moving to an older car with much higher miles an work that needs doing. Prob get around £1,400 for the astra, so would make a little, but my insurance will increase by £300,

grr, I don't know, any advice????? Please????? Before I go nuts?????

Martin :confused:

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
Check out admag, there are loads of 16v's going for under a grand.

PM me and we'll meet up if ya want some inspiration! See my site for a buying guide :beer:

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
I'd say definately do it. The Cally is faster, looks smarter, and is a much nicer drive imo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts