Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a factory fitted alarm in a Vectra B but should be the same for some Cav's and ather Vauxhalls too.

Basically I need to change the steering wheel, but need to remove the battery to make sure that the air bag does go off, but I can't disable the alarm when I disconnect the battery and the alem keeps going off. I can't see where the horn is to see if it has a key switch (not that I have a key for it), but if I can find the horn then I can dismantle it and take out the internal battery for it.

Does anyone know where the alarm box is or if I can disconnect the battery without the alarm thinking i'm trying to nick the car. After all, what would a garage do to?

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Have you tried disconnencting with the Ignition on??

·
Registered
126 Posts
try wot mark above said or just get the old wheel off and the wireing sorted quickly and just have a headache

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Or stuff a rag over the alarm to muffle it until your finished.

Oh BTW don't do this in a residential area at 8 on a Sunday morning, as you usually get some abuse (I did:rolleyes: :( ).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha, cheers lads.
I found that if you disconnect the battery within 15 seconds of turning the ignition off, the alarm wouldn't go off, but if you don't manage to disconnect the battery within 15 seconds then you'd better not have your head under the bonnet whilst trying....... 'cos it's a bit loud :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i beleive that you actually get a minute to disconnect after turning off the ignition. Found out after going totally deaf fitting a new battery!!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
You're all going about it the hard way.
Loosen battery terminals a turn or two.
Turn ignition on, and leave it there.
Remove battery negative lead.
Put a piece of cardboard or something between the neg terminal on the batt and the lead, to prevent accidental contact, during any work.
Remove the key to stop ppl running off with them

Put keys back in before trying to put the battery back on the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does the 'ignition on whilst disconnecting battery' method work for aftermarket alarms too?

I got a Toad Ai606 fitted when I first bought my GSi and due to the car not being used for 4 weeks till I got my licence back the battery had drained and I had the alarm going off all night. I eventually decided to hide in the house until the alarm battery drained completely, went to bed and woke up to a small chirp every 10 seconds at 5.30am ... the damn thing was still going. Got a charger now, dont think the neighbours would put up with a repeat show.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
aftermarket alarms should have a valet mode so should allow you to take the battery out without it going off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from alaska. So we just had this problem... 11 pm at night... Easy fix after trying a few things... Disconnect the horn or horns in our case lol..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts