Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my car for its mot today.
its an m reg astra with let transplant,everything was fine apart from my emmissions were to high 0.45% the limit is 0.30%
what i would like to know is how can i get them to the limit without cutting up my stainless steel exhast and fitting a cat...
or is that the only way..

cheers

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Easy way round that mate,

go somewhere else for your mot, and tell them that the engine is out of a 1991 car, they wont argue.......

job done.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
well i dont think thats true but im not arguing...

i know lots of people that get away with it.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
grrrrr, go back to him, and demand your certificate if thats all you failed on. Print out this:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

which clearly states test to the older of the engine or car if the engine is a transplant, and 'gently' tell him to look at his manual better.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Did they do teh test properly? What were teh oil and water temps? If they were cold then the emmisions are gonna be high.

They can't really test the car properly unless the oil and water are at least 80 degrees.

On the printout you should get the usual tripe and a temp reading. I once got a test and the oil temp was 11 deg's failed the cat test on Lambda by 0.01. Still didint matter it was a 91 carbed engine so it sailed through! lol

Chris

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oil temp was 95 and water temp was 90 will try and tell him its a 1991 engine but he seen the lambda and said it will have to be tested like a normal cat engine
would fit a cat but is a load of hasle just to take it back off again.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
No. Further in the test manual it says that if the engine cannot be identified. i.e. he can't proove that it is a later than 91 engine, then he has to test as per the non-cat regs.

It's all in there, probably on that same page in the link above. So either way, you can't fail, whatever he thinks!

Have a read of all those bits. I have the flow chart from section 6.4 as well if thats handy...

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
though i was right.;)

L

·
0 Posts
Tell him the manifold only was froma catted car and thr engine was from a pre cat car

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
About bloody time it passed!!!!

All legal now, so I'm expecting to be taxi'd everywhere now!!!!

Or you might just have to put me on your insurance hun! lmao ;) Only joking!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts