Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a vauxhall astra 1.7 TD estate (T plate). The engine turns over but does not fire. It seems the fuel is not getting through. I have an idea it might be the immobiliser.

1) does anyone else think it could be this
2) has anyone else had this problem and was it £££'s
3) If it is this what will I need to do

many thanks in advance, all help appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
The immobiliser is on the back of the pump on the earlier 1.7td and they fail, smash it off and put a new one on

Mart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
Mart said:
The immobiliser is on the back of the pump on the earlier 1.7td and they fail, smash it off and put a new one on

Mart
this is the earlier pump not the newer one which is all electronic dont smash it off if its the latter where abouts are you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am new here (obviously) so when I post this I hope it goes to the right place LOL - you ask whereabouts am I - Witham, Essex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,160 Posts
Could be a number of things.....
Immobiliser
Fuel pump
Air lock
Not very often that the glow plugs stop them from starting,especially in this weather.
You could try craking the injectors off on cranking to see if there is any fuel coming through,if not work back over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
It could be a number of different things. First thing to do would be to see whether or not there's any diesel at the injectors by cracking them off.

If there's no diesel then an immobiliser failure is a posibility but i'd check all of the fuses first. A blown fuse could prevent the stop solenoid opening.

After those checks, the glow plugs need to be checked for operation. A blockage in the fuel line could have ocurred also so a fuel filter change could be wise. without a few more simptoms it really is dificult to say what the problem is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Is there ANY smoke coming out the exhaust when u r turning it over?

If not, then its probly a fuel system problem (pump, lines, filter, injector)but could be glowplugs

If there is smoke then u ARE getting some fuel into engine and is usually glowplugs

Dont really know about the engine concerned here but that pretty much applys to any diesel ive worked on

**Is the fuel gauge accurate?**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cavturbomike said:
Is there ANY smoke coming out the exhaust when u r turning it over?

If not, then its probly a fuel system problem (pump, lines, filter, injector)but could be glowplugs

If there is smoke then u ARE getting some fuel into engine and is usually glowplugs

Dont really know about the engine concerned here but that pretty much applys to any diesel ive worked on

**Is the fuel gauge accurate?**
YES!!! - we ran a little low on Monday morning and brimmed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pourous_Head said:
did you run yourself completely out of diesel and then fill it up again, anytime recently
we didn't run completely out, just low, and tanked up Monday morning - we went for a long drive and there were no probs whatsoever.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Jennyscar said:
not sure what to listen for but it doesn't sound any different to be honest
What he means is, that if you go to your car while everywhere is quiet, and turn the ignition ON, but not turn the car over, You SHOULD hear a very faint click in the background! This is the fuel pump solenoid aloowing fuel through and if you can hear it, will almost discard the chances of you not getting fuel into the cylinders!

When you turn it over, does it actually try to turn over, or do you just get the noise from the starter motor?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Jennyscar said:
we didn't run completely out, just low, and tanked up Monday morning - we went for a long drive and there were no probs whatsoever.
Low on a diesel is also bad!

You maybe did the following journey on very little diesel (What was left in lines etc etc) and your experiencing the notorious 'Diesel when empty and filled wont ****ing start problem'

Takes ages to get a diesel started once its ran out of juice. . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wabby69 said:
What he means is, that if you go to your car while everywhere is quiet, and turn the ignition ON, but not turn the car over, You SHOULD hear a very faint click in the background! This is the fuel pump solenoid aloowing fuel through and if you can hear it, will almost discard the chances of you not getting fuel into the cylinders!

When you turn it over, does it actually try to turn over, or do you just get the noise from the starter motor?
Thanks for that - I will try that later.

When I turn it over it doesn't even try to turn over - just the noise from the starter motor.

Thanks, Jen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wabby69 said:
If the engines not cranking then it could be a little more serious than fuel pump / fuel related!
Sorry I meant I have power, the engine cranks but the engine does not start!

Cheers
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top