Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the car tonight, and the dipstick sitting next to me decided to turn the volume up as far as he could and the headunit just bloody cut out. I've got an amp and sub, checked all fuses and live and earth connections just to double check, and the headunit still won't come back on. How could it affect the headunit though, as surely the amp/sub/speakers would have gone rather than the unit itself?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not necessarily... sounds like the fuse has gone in the back of the headunit. Your mate in the passenger seat may have turned the volume up so high on the head unit that the headunit went instead of the amp The amp may not have reached its peak power first. Try turning the gain on the amp up a bit next time as it will protect the headunit a bit more.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i've set it all up fine and is as it should be. Have also checked the fuse at the back of the headunit and there's no problem with that.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
are you running your mids and tweeters through your headunit or a seperate amp in the boot. would suggest trying your headunit either directly off your batt or in another car, this will either confirm its your headunit or your loom. but to be honest i would say you have toasted the headunit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If what is wired up in series? I haven't changed any wiring, it's as it has been for years, only thing I have done is added an amp and sub, and that was months ago, everything else is standard. But they're not the problem, they seem fine, just the headunit that won't come on. Suppose i'll try another radio though.
Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, have done some further probing and have found that the 12v permanent live is not working basically, and thats why the headunit is not coming on. I've checked all fuses and they're fine, but still no 12v. Whats it likely to be, obviously it happened as the volume went right up. Have checked it for a short to earth and it's not that. Guess this means i'll have to take the whole bloody wire out and wire a new one then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts