Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it was dry today(still bloody cold though) thought i might as well seal the chassis for the winter,

once the loose rust had been wired off and severly poked with a screwdriver,

i applied some rust removing gel,

then once that had been cleaned off, time to apply the underseal,

all went well and the chassis are solid, however the parts that appear to be rusting seem to be where the spring mounts weld to the chassis leg,

also found a small hole on the nearside but there appears to be fresh metal underneath.

still get it looked at come MOT time next march.

·
Registered
38,604 Posts
Nice one mate!! I have done this to mine. Luckily my spring mounts are rot free pretty much. Just got Jamie to weld a nice patch on the chassis rail and sprayed the underneath with hammerite!

O

·
0 Posts
I too want to do this...

Definately WaxOyl'ing the underneath, and protecting the inner arches...

Want to paint up my suspension legs aswell when I put the new brakes on...

Looking good mate :beer:

If you don't mind me asking, what brand underseal did you use?

Well done! :) did you get it all finished?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Id say the best underseal to use is the stuff made by hammerite with added waxoyl - about £5 a decent sized tin - good as it remains flexible and doesnt crack. Also Ill probably get some waxoyl and a long feed to fill the chassis rails/box sections also.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
olly: got all the chassis rails done, gonna do the reat of the car aswell. i use the hammerite with waxoyl that andrew mentioned good stuff ive got a litre tin and i reckon it will do one coat of the whole underside of the car.

simon: the only magor rust on the whole chassis rails is by the spring mount will get it sorted next year probably when my MOT comes up in march the whole on the nearside is the only concern.

got all of next week of so will be sorting all the other things that need doing might even clean the tappets if im feeling confident enough!!!! have to look at jamies guide to cleaning tappets.

·
Registered
26,533 Posts
Can someone take a picture of this Hammerite with Waxoyl so I know what im looking for. I cant find the stuff anywhere:(

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
It's in Halfords.
It's made by Hammerite and it's called something like ' underseal with added waxoyl' and it proclaims on the tin it's made by hammerite. If it's the stuff I'm thinking of anyway.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Yes, black tin with red and yellow writing I think...the yellow tins are waxoyl.

You can see the tin on the first picture...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts