Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Grundig 'SAFE' condition

23K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  pata2004 
#1 ·
Disconnected the battery before a bit of work

All done & reconnect the battery I screwed up on resetting the radio - not sure what I did but may have turned something off when I shouldnt have :eek:

Result is that my Grundig SC303 displays 'SAFE' and no number. ( It will not let me enter the code ).

Is there any way to get the radio back to the point where I can rentering the code ?

( clumsey ) Olddog :dog:

#2 ·
Either :
a) it needs to be left on with the ignition on for a certain amount of time, then when its happy, it goes to let you put the code in.
or
b) turn stereo off,then ignition off. Turn ignition on.Holding one or two buttons (usually it's AS or something , cant remember what)( down, while turning the stereo on lefts you get to the code input screen. buttons 1,2,3,4 let you set the code, press and hold AS again to store code and power stereo up).

#3 · (Edited)
Yep, as the other post says, all you need to do is the following.

With IGNITION on, press the radio on botton while holding in the AS button until you hear a loud bleep. Dont let go of the AS until you hear the bleep. Takes a few seconds to sound.

With that heard you can then release it.
Now you have the chance to enter the security code.
You do that by pressing the station buttons 1-4.
Button 1 corresponds to the first digit you need for the code, Button 2 to the 2nd and so on.

Press button 1 however many times it takes to get the digit you want. IE for a 3 you would press button (1) 3 times. Station button (2) 5 times for a 5 etc.

Hope thats clear to understand. Easy to cock it up lol.

When you have entered the 4 digits for the code you need, press and hold AS again until you hear another bleep, and the radio will be decoded and work as normal.

If you mess it up, SAFE will appear with a countdown number from 9. Each time you turn the radio on the number will drop by 1.

Dont let it get past 7 or 8 because each time locks the radio down for ever longer periods of time with each failed attempt.
If this has happened, get vauxhall to reset it.

#4 ·
Thank you both for your replies

What happened is that after reconnecting the battery I attempted to restart the radio but screwed up ( the display no longer works - suprise! - ) and was about to try a second time when helper ( ?! as it turns out ) decided that he was going to disconnect the battery again to route something or other the other way. when he reconnected the battery the radio just comes up with SAFE and no number and does not go into 'code enter' mode ( i.e. ignition on, hold down AS turn on radio, keep AS held down till BEEP ) no matter how long I hold down AS.

There is something in the radio manual which says not to remove the power from the radio when entering the activation code. The way I read it its decided to lock itself out.

As I have the original radio passport code ever since I got the car I cant believe its really necessary to trot off to Vaux to sort out this.

( I noticed something in TIS for an earlier radio which would sort out the issue but it does not work with 303s )

Any suggestions ?

Olddog :dog:

#5 ·
sounds like its lockout and just needs to be left powered up

depending on how many times its been wrongly inputted code depends how long it stays 'safe'
can be minutes to hours to days
the ignition needs to be on all the time to enter the code / reset 'safe' mode

#6 ·
Yes, it sounds very much liked its locked down completely.
That happens once you get to about a safe 5 i think.
A 6 if i recall correctly can take days before it will allow you to re-enter the code.
Maybe disconnecting the power while in safe mode has forced it to jump all stages as an attempt to deter the thief it thinks it has.
There is no choice but to return to VX. Its a faily simple thing for them to reset it, although a pain admittedly.
Good luck.

#9 ·
"Bin it and buy another stereo"

Ha!

An Olddog with a diesel Cavvy doesnt bin things just like that :D :D :D

Mind you, I may well end up doing just that :mad: :mad: :mad: - but i'll do a lot of poking around before giving in.

( just at present thinking of working out the eeprom / flash ram chip that all the codes are stored in and trying to do a total erase on it - all good fun :cool: )

Olddog :dog:

#12 ·
Hello I have Grundig car200 and I have the code but I'm stuck in safe mode, and the display only show SAFE, and no bip when turn on the radio with down AS Key and ingnition on . Yesterday I leave the radio on but nothing happened. How can leave the SAFE mode and introduce the code? Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.