Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Yeah, this was on the lunchtime news today. They used Cardiff and Strathclyde as examples where serious road accidents and deaths were down, claiming this was due to speed cameras. So it looks like loads more on the way :rolleyes: :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like I'll be downloading updates for my Geodesy every other day then! Best bit of kit I've ever bought, I like to be able to consentrate on driving rather than looking for feckin speed cameras all day long :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not to mention that the current swathe of Government adverts scaring the piss out of normal car users into driving at 24mph (the social stigma of knocking someone over, who lets face it should look where they're flipping walking, is now nearly as bad as drink driving in my opinion).

How about the fact that average speeds are dropping in the areas that an accident is most likely to occur, because of traffic congestion?

There are loads of reasons that are conveniently forgotten about when it comes to speed cameras, or more to the point, the revenue they make.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
yeah but theres always public transport with astoundingly reasonable pricing, if we get really pissed of with cars.

If you ask me its all a conspiracy by track day companies.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
speed cameras work for 10 yards and thats it. my friend who also drives a car very (very ;) ) similiar to mine loves nothing more then seeing how fast he can go before he hits the camera and then trying to slow down to the speed limit before the first white line.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I'd take a few more Gatsos over speed humps any day.

Oddball "public transport with astoundingly reasonable pricing":

If you have a desire to sit up close and personal next to some elderly drunk smelling of stale wee, then yes I suppose the buses are priced quite fairly!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The lowest form of wit; both guilty :D

Actually, I've just remebered something. I heard not too long ago that somewhere, they tried to put up a new Gatso, garish colour and all. But the local residents complained about it being an eyesore, and it was taken down a week later.

Unfortunately, I doubt this would work everywhere.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
I did hear that when the variable speed limit was introduced on the M25 the number of accidents went up. You can imagine why, lots of panic breaking and shunts.

I cringe when I hear of cameras being installed near schools and things to bring speed down and save small children.

Big group of parents and the press gather around the new camera.
"This camera will save more lives" says the Mayor.
*General clapping"
*One guy stands up and says* "What speed will the camera be set to?
"35mph"
"OK, so why not set it lower and save more lives?"
"Urr..."
"Set it to 30mph and you'll probably save another child, make it 20mph and theres another 3 or 4. If you make it 10mph, chances are no children will be killed outside this school. So whos for a 10mph speed limit then?"
-silence-

Truth is that speed is a contributing factor but people walking in the road accounts for more pedestian deaths that people speeding and the general driving standard needs improving. I say it every single time, who here really rates there chances if a car hit them at the urban speed limit of 30mph? Most people are thrown a good 10-20 metres and very few 'get up'. Most end up in hospital for weeks, some die. So isn't it better to get people to stop walking out infront of cars? Or not to drive so close? Or not to pull right infront of someone and brake as some total moron did yesterday as I'm doing 70mph in the 1st lane :mad:

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Doesn't suprise me, I would rather see more Police catching drunk/drugged and dangerous drivers by having more patrols than Barking on about how Speed is a danger and putting up yet more Government Cash Machines, (I mean Speed Cameras)
Anyway, accident figures haven't fallen since the introduction of the evil gatso, check out this link which shows some of the figures.

www.abd.org.uk

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
When I passed my test I was in no way ready for driving on a
public road. I was too damn irresponsible then and I'm probably
not much better now. I would suggest I'm not in the minority
either. The driving test should be much much much harder than it
is and then perhaps drivers will be able to handle driving at speed
and less accidents will result.

And Oddball is totally right. I paid £2.50 to stand for 15 miles on a
bus journey this morning. Fantastic value.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Heres two options on how to get to the closest city (Bath 10 miles) from my village.....

Option one
Go up to the stop at 8:30, come back down because the buses only run once every two hours.
Go back up at 9:30, get on the bus at 9:50 when it turns up and pay £5.20 for an adult return to bath. Spend an hour on the bus with old people looking at you like your going to mug them at any minuite and some little girly about 13ish playing truant asking you if you want to **** her when you get to the bus station.
each the bus station in bath gasping for a ciggaret and repeat the procedure on the way home.

Option two
Get in the car at 8:30, drive to bath in comfort with music playing, park up, total cost about £4 inc parking.
Both optiond based on past experiances.

Yooooouuu Decide!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts