Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been thinking now i got the Astra TD, what would it take to get it near to say a golf tdi130

im assuming my mk3 astra (5 door) weights a couple of hundred kg's less right? so in theory i need it might be able to acheieve the same kinda power to weight ratio as the golf.

so could someone tell me the weight of a mk3 astra td 5 door and the weight of a golf 130 5 door and also what kinda bhp per ton they make

i know my engine wont eva quite have the torque levels of the golf, just a thought here really

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
My friends got the 115bhp Tdi version. Was slightly quicker than my old 1.4 16v engine in my corsa. Now he's fitted one of these tuning box's and fook me its SO much quicker. Deffo up to the 130-140bhp region. Its enough to not be too far off a Golf GTi (petrol) so if you can stick with a GTi it should be.

Golt TDi is a nippy motor for its overall size and weight (not sure on weight).

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Cupatea said:
My friends got the 115bhp Tdi version. Was slightly quicker than my old 1.4 16v engine in my corsa. Now he's fitted one of these tuning box's and fook me its SO much quicker. Deffo up to the 130-140bhp region. Its enough to not be too far off a Golf GTi (petrol) so if you can stick with a GTi it should be.

Golt TDi is a nippy motor for its overall size and weight (not sure on weight).
The MK4 TDi (130bhp upwards) will lunch the GTi petrol car (inc 1.8T). One of my old MK2's was running 169bhp and a fook load of torque being a 2litre 8v, and up to 100mph I could not really shift the TDi 130 that was after me, only then did it run out of steam. I eventually slowed to allow him to pass so I could see the boot badge and to say I was a little surprised was an understatement. I am not so naive with these cars now. A TDi 150 is quicker to 100mph than a Golf MK3 VR6, so they are no slouches. Only the Audi/Seat/Skoda equivelants are close to them in terms of engine capacity as they use the same engines..............

I went out in a BMW 530d and a 330d a few months back and they were stupidly quick vehicles. I'd definately have a TD as a daily driver on the back of my experiances with them.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I'd love to have a GTi TDi for every day use. 150bhp, tuning boxes give near on 300lb ft torque (and around 170bhp). Bye bye petrol GTi!!!!

Uknow what speedos are like, but this is like 2 odd years ago. With this "box" on it pulls up to the redline on the speedo. Very impressed.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was hoping some of the replies might be about the original subject

if my astra is lighter i would need less bhp but roughly what kinda bhp would it need to be upped to get anywhere near a tdi

·
Registered
197 Posts
my girlfriend has a PD130 Golf which destroys my mk4 1.8 16v astra. We took it to AmD a couple of months ago and had it remapped and it now produces 180bhp and 330lb ft torque, it flys now!!!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Davcohen said:
was hoping some of the replies might be about the original subject

if my astra is lighter i would need less bhp but roughly what kinda bhp would it need to be upped to get anywhere near a tdi
Im guessing the Mk3 astra is somewhere in the 1100-1200kg bracket.

Try www.carfolio.com for the weight of the VW :)

Then its a simple calculation

You gonna do the boost/fuel pump mod then?

Nitrous is good on diesels too ;) :D

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
looking at that site....

Mk3 Astra TD - 1130kg
Golf TDi - 1250kg

So Ill let you work it out ;)

What TD engine do you have in yours by the way?

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahh well 120kg isnt really anything to write home about then.

at the moment im running a standard isuzu lump, havent even started driving it yet as my other astra isnt sold, i plan to get the cambelt done then up the fueling and the boost.

as people has said those golfs are quick as feck and i was just thinking that i have the weight advantage and might be able to mod mine to similar power

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
120kg is defo enough to make a difference mate! admittedly you wont beat the power to weight on the golf (not easily anyhow) But I reckon you'll get close :)

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know about the mods everyone does which as i said i have lined up after a cambelt change.

but what else can be done to increase power on a cheapish basis.

would adding a bigger intercooler do anything for instance

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Should do, should mean you can run a bit more boost I should imagine. Intercooled diesels always perform muchos better than non. So Im guessing fitting a bigger one would have a good effect (after proper fuel/boost setup) . As for other cheap things. Cant think of any :( Apart from Nitrous LOL

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
0ddball said:
all you would need is custom everything. easy.
lol, so would an intercooler from a cav turbo be compatible or even is it any better then the one i already have fitted

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.