Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I will damage my ecu if it has to go through an airport hand luggage x-ray machine?

Ta.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
dont think it will do any damage, I just took a load of electronic gear for my RC car racing over to ireland and went through numerous machines and all worked fine, they all have programmed chips etc but make sure you take it as hand luggage, is safer and easier that way

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
i bought a CD head unit back from the states in my hand luggage. even went through one of those conveyer belt style real time x-ray machines and the women never even blinked. i mean, metal box full of electronics in your hand luggage. wtf was she thinking ?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
i bought a CD head unit back from the states in my hand luggage. even went through one of those conveyer belt style real time x-ray machines and the women never even blinked. i mean, metal box full of electronics in your hand luggage. wtf was she thinking ?
I bought a set of speakers in the states a few years back, had the speaker wire that came with it coiled up in the side pocket of my hand luggage along with my cd player, play button had been accidenatlly pressed n the cd was spinnin, lots of coilled cable n moving parts soon got her attention! lmao

·
Registered
117 Posts
0ddball said:
Why is it then that I got stopped and had my bag searched twice on my way to Cananda, just cos I hd more than one camera in my hand luggage, oh and it all got swabbed for drugs!!!

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
All my stuff in America gets swabbed. I didn't understand what they were doing but then I clicked last time. DNA

They wipe the handles and zips on your luggage as these are the things they know you will of touched. Then store that sample.

I think the ECU would be fine and thats before I read Brians reply which pretty much eliminates doubt.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
as if people in air ports read warnings. i bet you belive if you sent something overseas and put a 'fragile' sticker on, they would actually look after it and not take a 35 yard free kick into the side of a mini bus with it

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
yeah we have a roll of those stickers at work, my job is handling/running magnetic storage media. dont know the science behind it though but i doubt any kind of gamma/x/magnetic/micro wave would have a positive effect on anything storing data in a magnetic substrate.

but of course subjecting them to high magnetic fields would wipe them, we do this to destroy old tapes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.