Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Basically I bought a Vauxhall zafira tourer 2.0 diesel 2014 about a year ago and apart from the finding first gear could be a pain on occasion, it's been fine until the first frost in December, basically I went out to defrost it and after starting it up I went to change gear and the gearbox seemed to be frozen and although I could push the gear stick forward into first and straight down into 2nd once back into neutral the stick would not push left or right thus not able to find any other gears, so I waited for the frost to lift and bingo everything was fine up until the next frost a couple of weeks later and it happened again only the frost lasted a week so I was unable to move the car until the frost went, and bingo gears are fine once more, and so I was wondering if anyone out there has come across this problem because in my 45years of driving I've never heard of it . Mark

·
Registered
556 Posts
a friend had this happen last month, on her car, when it was minus 5 ish degrees.
she said it took her about 5 minutes, to get the car into gear, the stick was frozen up.

i never looked into it, because it only happened once, but if i had to guess, there was probably snow or water, sat on some part of the gear linkage mechanism, from all the road spray, driving over snow, slush, and through puddles, and whatever was there, froze overnight, and set something in place.

thats my best guess.

a water leak somewhere, could potentially cause the same issue.

the weathers starting to warm up now, so you shouldnt have anymore troubles, until next year, but it might be worth having a look into it, sometime before next winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts