Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been suffering from a fuel smell in the car again.

Originally it was caused by a poor seal between the filler pipe and the cap.
So, last weekend I finally sorted out the filler cap hole. Sourced a new filler pipe from the scrap yard, cut out rust, made a metal insert, glass fibred it in, painted and filled. Job jobbed.

Sadly, that didn't solve the problem this time around. After a week of sufferance I finally decided to have a further look today.
After jacking up the car and looking around I found all the major pipes were OK. Then I found that the rear wheel had cut through one of the small breather pipes. Ahaaaaaaa. Could be that then.
So, make sure all your pipes are well out of the way if you ever swap the fuel filler pipes. Bloody cowboys.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the pressurised fuel pipe is braided now. I've got the fuel lines runing through the car via bulkhead fittings.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The old horse is running fine. I'm a bit short on pistol rounds at the moment though. I'm going down the high road to the townstead tomorrow to get me a whore.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway, the bad news is that interior of the car still smells of fuel.
I wondered whether I'd got the two small vent/overflow pipes the wrong way round so I swapped them over.

However, I just found this useful picture, which shows that it was the right way round to start with.

I'm starting to get bored now. The fuel smell is definitely tank/filler neck related. Nothing to do with the pressurised part of the system.

I suppose I'll have to drop the tank and take a full look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.