Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front ashtray now pops open violently!! :( :(

it used to glide smoothly out with a push of the button. now it doesn't come out or go back smoothly. theres this 'click click click' sound when u open and close it slowly by hand.

Did i pop a spring?? broke a fitting??

how do u remove the whole ashtray housing area??

pls help!!

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
It is spring loaded.You may have to remove the centre console to get to it.Never removed mine and Haynes isnt helpful.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LEE69 said:
It is spring loaded.You may have to remove the centre console to get to it.Never removed mine and Haynes isnt helpful.
not good news Lee!!! :( :mad:

centre console as in the whole aircon switch area?? or the handbrake area??

I should not have meddled with the damn thing this morning!!!:mad:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LEE69 said:
Handbrake one,doesnt look to bad to remove,really.
phew!! i was hoping u'll say that. :p lmao

the aircon switch console looks like a b*tch to remove.

anyone here has done it before?? any pics??

so u reckon the spring must have popped out into the back of the ashtray?? it gets this 'click click click' sound. the splines on the gear are grinding against each other.

thanks Lee!!

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
Theres 2 screws under the cassete holder,need to remove the handbrake gaitor,screw under the tray where heated seat switchs go,2 at front under the dash.

Have a look to see if the aashtray will come out on its own first,if not there may be a screw behind it :confused:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casette holder?? where?? the one next to the ETC button??

"2 at front under the dash" the once by the sides?? near the footwell (clutch pedal)??

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
Near the rear ashtray we have a cassette holder,you may just have a mat?

i think i saw one under the etc switch area,when i did me gaitors,and yes by pedal

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh okie. i use that for packet kleenex. :p fits real well.

so after undoing the screws, do i lift the console up or any particular way??

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
theres 2 bolts under rear ashtray
one under handbrake gaitor, 2 more under the little tray, and 2 down underneath dash.

pull it away from dash and up.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
what mind boggles me is though, if you used the ashtray (i dont know anyone that actually uses it for fags, how the fek would you empty it:confused: lmao

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
adamSRi said:
what mind boggles me is though, if you used the ashtray (i dont know anyone that actually uses it for fags, how the fek would you empty it:confused: lmao
mine pulls out the actual ash collector bit,so you can empty it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually it all started when i meddling with the metal flap. it didn't close very well, it left a gap. adjusting the metal flap improved it summot.

but too much of pressing and fiddling. then....i heard 'click' and i went like "F*ck!!!":eek: :mad:

oh well.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
U guys think a regular accessories/audio guy would be able to sort it out for me?? (i.e. remove centre console and sort the ashtray)

don't really wanna risk breaking a clip or two myself.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not so confident with these interior fittings. lmao :eek:

the last time i removed my speedo console, i dropped two screws into the back of it!! :eek: :eek:

had to get the replacement from the dealer!!

but seriously, would a stereo/accessories guy be able to do it??

thanks Lee. :)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
There's no clips to break mate...as said its just screws in the locations noted above.

There is a spring attached if i remember correctly and gearing teeth so u may have snapped one of these that give the progressive 'feel'.

But the actuall ashtray unit is attatched to the centre console(gear/handbrake part) by locating pegs which are then melted over at the ends, shouldn't have to remove this to get to your problem though.

Hope this helps. If really neccesary i can take some pics of my ashtray unit as its sitting in my garage some where.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AndyMk3Astra said:
There's no clips to break mate...as said its just screws in the locations noted above.

There is a spring attached if i remember correctly and gearing teeth so u may have snapped one of these that give the progressive 'feel'.

But the actuall ashtray unit is attatched to the centre console(gear/handbrake part) by locating pegs which are then melted over at the ends, shouldn't have to remove this to get to your problem though.

Hope this helps. If really neccesary i can take some pics of my ashtray unit as its sitting in my garage some where.
what do ya think i've snapped?? the gears now crash against each other. no longer progressive.

yeah, if its not too much trouble, pics would be great!! :) :D

thanks andy!! :beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts