Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the car yesterday making sure I'd cured my oil and PS leaks. All seemed fine until I had a look at the transfer box and spotted a drip of what seemed to be PS fluid. I wiped it away assuming it had come from the leak at the front of the car. Took it for a short run yesterday and had another look under today. The drip is back and its a bit damp around it. Its at the end closest to the prop shaft and I couldnt see where it was coming from..

Has anyone got any ideas?

PS I wasnt running it in 4x4.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would make sense because its only around the propshaft area. Are the seals easy to replace?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could be anything!

The PS oil is used for the txb system, it connects to the transfer box via a high pressure hose (800 psi) connected just down from the top of the txb towards the nearside. A leak could be at that junction or fluid going down the pipe from the assemblies above it - Accumulator block.

Alternatively, the oil in the transfer box is also red if it is the proper GM synthetic, or if it is an older box, it may still have PS fluid in it anyway. Could be leaking from the drain plug, temp sensor mounting, breather pipe (or connection) or support bracket mountings.

Yet alternatively again, it may nothing whatever to do with the txb, it just landed there from whence it came. Oil goes a long way when you are flying.

Have a look at the Workshop Manual for more guidance.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I could see from underneath where the high pressure pipe goes in and it was dry. The drain plug also showed no signs of leaking. I checked the level checker plug aswell. There is no temp sensor even though this is a '93 Cav Turbo. Its had a new Tx Box recently so I imagine its the synthetic oil thats in it so like you say maybe this is what I've seen and not PS fluid.

I'll check the other mountings that you mentioned and the breather pipe (although its not coming from the top of this).

Cheers

·
Registered
297 Posts
If it is a '93, it should have a temp sensor. I assume there is a drain plug size plug in the hole where the temp sensor was. This means you do not have the fail safe working. It should be, so you may want to consider the £60 it will cost, or get a second hand one.

It is likely to be the 2-wire version, and if so, the connector is under the bulkhead flap towards the offside. In order to keep the txb working the connector will have been short circuited.

If it has had a new transfer box recently, and it has not got a temp sensor, I would not assume it has synthetic oil in it.

Who changed the txb?

Have a browse/search through the Workshop Manual for the items mentioned.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where you have A and E in the diagram I'm pretty sure I only have one (which must be A?).

There was no visible place for a temp sensor and no sign of wires unless they are tucked away out of sight. I also checked what I think was the serial number and its 5-6 digits long starting with a 2. The numbers arent exactly straight, it looks like someone used punch letters. Does someone have a photo of their serial number so I can make sure I've read the correct thing?

The transfer box was fitted by a company called Ultravaux from Derby and they are referred to here

What is the temp sensors purpose? I'll have another good look at the weekend but I'm pretty sure there is no where to fit one.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richard said:
It is likely to be the 2-wire version, and if so, the connector is under the bulkhead flap towards the offside. In order to keep the txb working the connector will have been short circuited.
Just read this part again, do I find this from under the car or from under the bonnet?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No "Y" at the beginning of the serial number sounds like an older 8 or 16v box, although Richard is on the case and will know better than me.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh I was beginning to suspect that the box is a bit dodgy. It was in for its MOT today and they've said that the txb is leaking although they couldn't see where from...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It might be that the TXB has failed in the past and someone with a little bit of knowledge has simply put in a box from the 2.0 8v 4x4 or the cav gsi 4x4. Of course these are not suitable for the turbo :eek:(

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not_Too_Fast! said:
It might be that the TXB has failed in the past and someone with a little bit of knowledge has simply put in a box from the 2.0 8v 4x4 or the cav gsi 4x4. Of course these are not suitable for the turbo :eek:(
I bought the car from a mate who had it for about 3 years. The txb did fail shortly after he got it, a mechanic fitted a new clutch and didnt fill the txb with oil :eek: The new txb was fitted by Ultravaux - the guy travelled up from Derby to fit it. I hope its not the wrong box but there isn't much I can do if it is... :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fliud on transfer box

Just reading about your box,I brought a 93 cav turbo in march 2002 and they had their txb done a year before that by ultravaux and when I went to change the fluid in dec there was no temp sensor and I couldn't get the plug out. It was like it had been superglued and everything was done to try and get it out. I thought I was the only one.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
white turbo, do you still own the same Cavalier?
Have you had any problems with the box?
Were you able to do the oil change?

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes I still own the car,didn't start using it til NOV 02. Because it has been lowered by the last owner I have taken out fuse 19 so it is in 2wd,I brought a rear camber kit from cav16 which I haven't put on the car yet. As for problems I still haven't got the plug out to drain the fluid and still worried why they left the temp sensor out.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah right. I've just bought mine and haven't got it on the road yet. Next time you get a chance do you think you could take note of the serial number to see if its similar to mine? If I cant solve this leak on my box I think I'll phone Ultravaux to see if I can sus out what the story is...

·
Registered
297 Posts
The serial numbers are 'hand' stamped on the bottom of the txb, as fitted, but the other side (of the bottom) to the drain plug. ie. Look up from ground level, spot the drain plug and look to the other side.

If you have a turbo and the serial number does NOT begin with a 'Y' then it is a non-turbo box and should not have been fitted. The viscous coupling will deliver less drive to the rear wheels. This means it is less able to deal with such things as wheel spin and because it cannot stop the spinning, by delivering the correct drive to the rear wheels there is a chance that the txb can overheat, either way you loose traction. Careful driving will help the situation but is a contradiction to the term 'turbo'.

Put another way, however you drive the car, the maximum drive that can be delivered to the rear wheels will have been reduced to that of an 8v or 16v, so traction will not be so good.

The absolute worst case is that you have an 8v txb with an 8v front end prop coupling, on a turbo car. The coupling is larger, and stronger, on the 16v and turbo variants.

Given the apparrent history of the txb, have a good look at the two joints on the txb which are held together with nine hex bolts. The txb is in three parts, the large front end, the middle one inch, which houses the ram seal and the large rear end which houses the viscous coupling. The mating surfaces should be sealed with an instant gasket cement eg 'Carplan' - as there are NO gaskets. May just not be properly tightened or sealed properly.

On your posting at 0850 on the 11th, the photograph, from my Workshop Manual' shows a 2-wire temperature sensor. Here is a better view:

It is the one with the green top. All the other items around it are txb mounting bolts. The hole the sensor is in was the filling hole on the earliest txb's and it simply had a 'drain plug' type plug in it. It would have a tapered thread. The later model had a single wire temperature sensor in exactly the same place but it was a smaller hole. The sensor is very similar to the one found in the thermostat housing for the water temperature gauge.

The purpose of the temperature sensor is to detect when the txb oil temperature rises to about 160 degs.C. It then shuts the box down to avoid any damage.

This photograph:

is the best I have to give you a clue where to look. This shows the area under the bulhead where at the top of the picture is the plastic flap which runs accross the top back of the bulkhead. Having spotted the accumulator assembly in the picture, lift the flap on the other side above the water header tank and you should find a connector with either a temperature sensor fitted to the plug ends or doctored in some way.

1. If your car is the single wire version I would bet money the temperature sensor is still connected and unfortunately measuring the ambient temperature under the bonnet.

2. If the car is a 2-wire version either:

a. The temperature sensor is not connected and the two wires of the socket are connected together or

b. The temperature sensor is still connected.

Have a look and let us know what you find.

You can try ringing Ultravaux but I doubt you will get any joy. I have been trying all morning because I need to talk to them about a copyright infringement on the Dorfbrunnen photo they are using.

Incidently if you go to the search engine
Google.com and do a search for 'ultravaux' you will see them listed as 'Car Breakers'

Hope this all helps

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 69 Posts