Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other (Please specify)?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good thrashing down the strip at York on sunday my gearbox decided to play funny buggers with me:(

On one of the last runs of the day, changing from first gear into second, i noticed it wouldnt go. Eventually i got it into second but not without crunching. i carried on with the rest of the run, all gears were fine. i stopped at the side of the road, 1st into second, crunch. b.o.l.l.o.k.s!!

Am i right in thinking its the 2nd gear syncro?

With the poll above im trying to get an idea of the best option for me.

I have another f28, albeit with a big hole in the casing. (see here : http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/vauxhall/mechanical-electrical/228181-oil-gushing-f28-box.html)

The internals of the other box are fine, apart from the crown wheel, so i'm lead to believe.
Should i butcher this box of its internals and use them in the other casing?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
make one good box out of the two and do it yourself to save money why buy another box it may do the same in a week i dont think there is any other options you have the strongest available box but its got a bit of wear (comes with age) just fix one of them.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
timrud_ said:
The syncro for second is £150-ish though. The others are cheap.
how much is another good gearbox that might break in a week????

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
daveb948576 said:
how much is another good gearbox that might break in a week????
Good point.

Has anyone done it before? im an hgv mechanic but im used to big ass gearboxes. are there any special tools needed?
any guides?

·
Registered
112 Posts
apparantly its all spring loaded
so be carfull when opening it up!
have a look at the spare first the if your confidentenough with that one then rip the other apart and make it good!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CALIBRA.DTM said:
apparantly its all spring loaded
so be carfull when opening it up!
Can anyone confirm this? which way should i go about dismantling it, lie it input shaft down?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
its easy splittig em, nowt to worry about, just like any other gearbox so long as your mechanically able

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so just stand it on the bell housing and whip it apart that way.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
linco_sri_2L said:
so just stand it on the bell housing and whip it apart that way.

no put it the other way up (so the input shaft is facing up) as all the gears stay inside the box and the bell comes off unlike a f20 where the cogs come out

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is exactly the same senario as i am in, My f28 box was working fine then started crunching badly going into 2nd . I have a spare box i bought off MART on here, he told me second gear crunches also but first is ok so my plan is to remove 1st gear syncro from spare box and fit it to second gear in my main box .
Only problem is i have never opned up a g/box although i am a compitent mechanic (rebuilt various engines, done nova-xe/let + astra-let converions etc.)
I just wanted to know has anyone got any diagrams or rebuild guides for the f28 box .
Are any special tools required or is it just normal bearing pullers etc that i will need .
Any help or advice would be great. :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I split the f28 i have to check out the damage to the diff. Took the brackets off then un-did all the 13mm casing bolts, used a soft blow mallet to remove the casing, easy really. Found one of the diff gears had split, jamming between the diff itself and the bellhousing case. A hole was produced!!

anyhoo, it was pretty easy getting the diff out. i can probably quite easily now make one good out of two bad. ie use the diff out of the box that is still in the car with the internals of the other one. nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts