Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much boost can I run after the larger intercooler has been installed...or should i just leave alone???
The car seems to be going well now actually but I assume this is due to the colder weather we are experiencing down here.
Also using super unleaded which seems to help quite abit. :D

Rob

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Originally posted by robert:
<STRONG>Also using super unleaded which seems to help quite abit. :D </STRONG>
Please dont tell us you were using normal unleaded when you were running a superchip and boost at 15psi :eek: :eek: ?!?!

The octane rating is not going to be high enough so detonation is going to occur in the engine. The ECU will pick this up and retard the timing so as to prevent this detonation which drops power a LOT.

Run the tank with Super Unleaded and fit the intercooler. Once you have done that, reset the ECU overnight (minimum 1 hour) and then re-connect and drive the car. This will reset the ECU and it will learn to drive with the Super Unleaded petrol and not retard the ignition so much. It will also learn about the intercooler (colder charge) as well.

I will gaurantee an increase in performance by a noticeable amount when you do this.

Keep the boost at 14-16psi even with the intercooler. The superchip is good enough but its not mapped specifically to your engine (like a UniChip) so the fuelling etc wont be precise enough to run any higher without fear of running lean (which all superchips s'posedly do at the top of the rev range). You do NOT want a turbo engine to run lean :eek:

You may want to consider fitting a Weber Fuel Pressure Regulator (or Carls Motorsport 4.5bar one..... same ppl that do the intercooler and available from Gavin Wallace again) to nake sure the fuelling is better.

Oh, and for gods sake NEVER RUN NORMAL UNLEADED IN YOUR CAR unless you have to (like when you are nearly empty and need petrol) and only then put just enough to get you to the next garage with super !!!

Rich

[ 17-07-2001: Message edited by: Richie ]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did the people who chipped the car not tell you that you should only run it on Super from now on?? or have you had the compression lowered as well??

Speaking of Super Unleaded, I filled up on the way back from Biling with 98RON from a BP station in Leicester. I thought 98RON had been phased out, I can only get Esso 97RON normally. Anybody on here know where I can get 98RON BP fuel from in the North Manchester area.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Careful with that one. A lot of pumps say 98RON on the pump itself but the nozzle has 97RON. They just havent gotten around to updating the other one so it may in fact be 97RON.

I didnt know BP still done Super. They dont round here, I have to use Esso or Shell. Will need to have a look at the old BP garages round here again if they ARE 98RON :D

Rich

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Nozzle was just plain green without any markings on it, could of been a lie I guess.

No I can't get BP Super round here either, only Esso, Shell, Elf and wait for it, SAVE.

Only ever put Esso in though, I was led to believe that Shell Super isn't much good, SAVE obviously avoid that one, but ELF is an unknown.

I was also led to believe that BP Super was the Stella Artois of Fuels.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Doesnt matter what brand it is, my dad works in shell haven in essex, every oil company runs outta the same refinery, you see asdsa, bp, shell, esso, running lorries out the front door. The only difference will be additives and detergants which companies add at their discretion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.