Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that was a bit of a mouthful, said the actress to the bishop.

Anyway i got impatient and just went out and fitted one of my M10 sensors to the M10 blanking plug on the distributor end, bulkhead side.

It is indeed M10x1, sensor goes all the way in AND tightens so its deep enough, just ran the engine up, let the fan cut in and the oil temp gauge was just under 80. Oil pressure hadn’t dropped yet, so wasn’t fully up to heat. Its looking very promising.

I was just thinking about the pressure, it wont be as much as down by the oil pump because its at the top of the hill so to speak, plus the block has that restrictor to stop the head starving the bottom end. Hasn’t leaked at all with just the fibre washer. Going out in a minute so I can see what temp the oil gets to on a run.

16vastra: on your SBD inlet manifold over by the altenator, have you got a thin coolant hose coming out of a bronze stub and going over to the top of the expansion bottle. I was just eyeing it up and the bronze push on stub looks decidedly M10ish lmao

Just thinking, coolant enters the inlet manifold from the head and is then sucked out the bottom by the water pump, is that small return to the expansion bottle totally necessary you reckon, its gagging for a temp sensor straight in there.

I will find a home for the second coolant sensor !!

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
yup and it completes the circuit i think cos i was eying it with disgust when i fitted it (removed the inlet area heating on the 8v and quite liked it like that and wasnt amused it only seemed to heat 1 inlet)
came to the conslusion i needed to fit it as its just off the pump (well the big hose going into the inlet is and this will generate pressure no? which way it flows i didnt bother thinking about)

you dont need many sensors mate, just as long as 1 shows you the stat temp and the fan cuts in at an appropriate shown temp then its kooshty innit

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm just festidious thats all, i want the gte dash temp guage to work AND the racetech gauge.

the big hose at the bottom of the inlet manfiold joins right by the arse of the water pump, but the pump sucks along that hard plastic tube, so must be sucking through the bottom of the inlet manifold too. feeding from the passage in the head. ive watched the small feed to the expansion bottle, and water is coming out of the pipe and entering the bottle.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
50 blue
60 1 yella
80 2 yella
100 3 yella (?) only did it once, then turned engine off and replaced blown fuse!

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
16vastra said:
was it this m10 plug? its an oilway then?
yup thats the puppy.

super__dan said:
Do either if you know how the digi dash bars compare to temperature? i.e. like one bar on dash = 1 BAR of actual pressure.
that is correct, the standard pressure sensor is rated from 0-5 bar, it even has that stamped on it. And there are 5 yellow bars, soooo.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
0ddball said:
that is correct, the standard pressure sensor is rated from 0-5 bar, it even has that stamped on it. And there are 5 yellow bars, soooo.
Cheers mate, though what 16vastra said about the temperatures was what I was after, though I see I didn't word it very well. I was interested as I now know I really have to wait till I see one yellow bar before giving it any revs at all really. And if I get 3 yellow bars and the fan doesn't come on soon there is a fair chance it may overheat soon.

Dan

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to be honest thats too early still, dont forget this is water temperature, the oil temp lags behind quite significantly. And its oil temp thats critical not coolant.

I used to use the oil pressure guage as a guide, when it would drop to 3 bar idling (dip clutch if you on the motorway) thats when i deemed it safe for thrashage.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Yeah, cool I know exactly what your saying, but I actually short shift really quite early till I think its warm. when I said use any revs I meant like go crazy and use up to the dizy hieghts of 3-3.5k. I never go flat out till plenty up to temp. My old dear audi A4 1.8SE, which is not really sporty at all, but it does have an oil temp gauge, no pressure gauge but a usefull temp gauge.

Infact thinking about it I rarely rev it that high anyway, its very infrequent it sees over 5k, infact I should have saved myself some cash and got an 8valve :) , I jest of course.

Dan

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
cool, so it worked then, ill have to do the tommorow then.

glad it worked, no more farting about drilling sumps etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts