Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before the engine came out my car, the F28 was crunching ALOT, It was rebuild in 2004 and has done no where near 10k since. The car has actually spent most of its time in the garage.

The engine mounts were funked on the car, properly and the linkage was always iffy. Also using a heavy plated Ceramic paddle clutch which I'm told won't help things.

I split the box to do the speedo ring so thought I'd post up some pics for examination (could be handy for others in the future too.

Removed the outer casing - All 13mm bolts out round the outside, case lifts off:

Quick look at the top half, this is my input shaft bearings, yeah? The cage looks pumped? Took it out, its rigid enough but there is alot of brittle plastic covering the bearings as you can see. The top "ring" of the cage is also pretty wasted. Does this need replaced?

Then presented with this: What are we looking at here, input shaft I know, diff on the right, what are the gearsets above and below? reverse is in the side "pod" that the gearbox is sitting on just now, yeah?

Mainshaft bearings? these spin freely and the cage is solid, I take it these will be fine. There was however a little piece of blue plastic under them which I've discarded, it looked like it may have come from the speedo ring (Which appeared to be damaged - Wasn't a complete ring, you can just make out the missing bit at the top in the pic above)

Now, I feel I may have found something amiss.. Brass like filings

Looking back at the top half, doesn't look good?:

Not much else that can be seen really just now, but I did notice this bearing cage looks to be in the same condition as the mainshaft one?

Any advice on what else I can do / check / replace while it's split like this? Can you see anything else that looks out of place / damaged?

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
pete would be better for this
but i would be concerned for the mainshaft bearing as these are impossible to get,even the individual rollers.Hows the shaft?
the sound of mine was a rumble when clutch was depressed

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were no rumbles or any out of the ordinary sounds mate. The box was mint until it started crunching a bit going into gear. As said, I put this down to my mounts, the rear rubber was ripped in half.

What about the cage pictured? That needs replacing yeah?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had another look at your pics the mainshaft bearing is the one with 2 bolts the big one
yours was still on the shaft,would that be the reverse shaft bearing ?
I follow you mate. The one thats damaged is the input shaft bearings then? The mainshaft one you're talking about thats still on the shaft, they are right as rain. Lifted them off, the bearings look fine, the cage is also in good order.

·
MigWeb Member
11,216 Posts
I follow you mate. The one thats damaged is the input shaft bearings then? The mainshaft one you're talking about thats still on the shaft, they are right as rain. Lifted them off, the bearings look fine, the cage is also in good order.
the case on your input shaft is shot to **** thatll need replacing, the mainshaft bearing is nigh on impossible to get remove it and store it somewhere very safe!!

i have a spare mint input shaft bearing if you need it, i also have a complete box with brand new internals but missing that impossible to source bearing if your interested in that, theres not much you can do on these boxs without knowing what your doing they are real pig to work on.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the mainshaft bearing and store it somewhere safe? lmao I plan on using this box! Ok, the input shaft bearings casing is done, thats good, I need this kind of advice, so, is the casing still available from Vauxhall?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lmao I don't think I need them? lmao

Oh, you said the INPUT shaft bearing isn't available. What about the casing? :(

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
looks like it needs a total strip down and new syncros, as most your current syncros are in kit form distributed around the gearbox.

where is this bit of blue plastic? if a bit of the speedo ring has come off, that points towards someone being in there b4 and fcuking it right up.
so, if there are bits inside and it was crunching a lot, it needs the complete works doing, which is about 12-15 hrs of labour from start to finish, to check/change all the syncros and give it a total strip/replace any worn parts/clean/re-assemble.
labour - about 300£-400£
syncros - anything from 150£ to 500£ depending what it needs
bearings - could fit some secondhand good ones if i have the correct ones, or you can get them from someone else, etc, 50£ to 100£

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks like it needs a total strip down and new syncros, as most your current syncros are in kit form distributed around the gearbox.
What makes you say this Pete? From the above pictures

The box was rebuilt before I got it and I have a receipt for £650. It was absolutely clean as a whistle, never had any problems at all with it. The Speedo ran fine on 160 clocks.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
probably a more cost effective option to try and source another lower mileage f28 and use this one for spares
Thanks for that, this is certainly something I had given consideration. I'm just quite surprised its all went tits up so soon. What causes this? Poor oil?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.