Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fookin ell what a sound, never really knew much about it till my work mate took me out in his integra, hes a bit of a honda nut, looks like the chinese guy off of Fast and furious 1, (guy at the street race). Up to about 5.5 - 6k it sounds like a normal hard revin engine but from 6-9 its a whole different animal, VTEC kicks in and oh my goooood lol, it sounds like its gonna take of, sounds imense, i was like this :D goin at 140

Shame vaux's dont has something like this..

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
chip said:
If you put lairy cams and a set of throttle bodies on a XE it makes more noise than an ITR standard engine and more power too.
Honda engine lifespan - 250,000 miles

"lairy cams and a set of throttle bodies on a XE" lifespan - :eek:

·
Registered
559 Posts
The new 1.8 that's going into the Zafira next year should be better than V-TEC - it has a variation on BMW's Double Vanos system. Should kick the lamps out of V-TEC.

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
BMW's vanos system isnt a patch on the VTEC system IMHO.

As far as im aware it only does valve timing and not lift as well like the VTEC one.

chavtastic, i dont think you will see many ITR engines going to 250,000 miles, im certainly not aware of any from the ITR forum im on and i certainly wouldnt expect the new engine ive got in my ITR to last that long either, they are fantastic engines, but they arent magic

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
PS

Vauxhall engines wont EVER be as good from the factory as honda engines because vauxhall dont spend the time and money on building them that honda do, honda's standards are just so much higher in terms of getting the correct clearances and quality control tests etc.

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
chip said:
PS

Vauxhall engines wont EVER be as good from the factory as honda engines because vauxhall dont spend the time and money on building them that honda do, honda's standards are just so much higher in terms of getting the correct clearances and quality control tests etc.
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Chavtastic - OllyTB has been canning his throttle bodied XE almost everyday for the past 3 years and it's still on the same engine. It's only had two bottom ends and three top ends, just like Triggers broom.

No but seriously, even an old tired XE will take a lot of abuse and when you can get a new bottom end for £50 and new top end for £50-£100 it's pretty disposable.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
i remember when a mate took me out for a spin in his CRX. when that v-tec came on i was :D from ear to ear. sounds so cool! i'd have to agree, after hearing/seeing that vid of olly h's tb'd nova, sounds much better!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Tell me about it... VTEC engines are everywhere in my country... im used to them,

i always go like "hmmmm BAAAAAAaa" when the vtec kicks in. lmao

I agree with chip :beer:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Im surround by em too mate! :rolleyes:
Currently on the Vtec variety with my mates are a 'Lude Si, an EK Civic Vti with Nos, a EG Civic Vti with TB's, a turbo'd CRX, a track day only Integra Type-R and a Integra Type-R 2004 (same as Accura RSX shape) :D

Any of my mates that don't drive Hondas? Very slim. Any of them that dont ride japanese? You've got to be kidding me! :rolleyes:
Looks like I'll have to fly the Vaux flag meself then!! :eek: lmao

·
Registered
187 Posts
vtec does sound nice but they have no torque whatsoever so in a heavy civic its not that impressive imo.

if only vauxhall made an engine that sounded like that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
m.d. said:
vtec does sound nice but they have no torque whatsoever so in a heavy civic its not that impressive imo.

if only vauxhall made an engine that sounded like that.
145lb/ft from the Civic engine

And 150 from a XE?

Not exactly low torque is it

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
People always say they have no torque because they rev so hard but it's rubbish. The whole point of the Vtec system is the valve lift and timing changes so you do get a proper power band.

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Si220T said:
145lb/ft from the Civic engine

And 150 from a XE?

Not exactly low torque is it
Try 125lb/ft from the B16a2 (1.6 158bhp). I've had two of them, cracking engines, but only really quick when you know the roads or you're on track, same goes for the Teg. Prelude 2.2 is a better real world road car due to 190bhp and 160lb/ft, just a shame it doesn't have the rev range of the 1.6. The noise is addictive but on the 1.6's you do get a little frustrated on motorways and things when you just wanna go. On b-roads they're a blast and keeping them in the zone makes for some very rapid progress.

People compare the 1.6's to XE's a lot because that's the closest performance comparison, capacity for capacity, not much gets close, certainly nothing C16XE etc etc

As for BMW, yes it's not the same system (vanos) but you would hardly call the 3.2 343bhp M3 engine lame, maximum power at 7900rpm.. oh look, torque, high revs and just as mental (if not more so) sounding engine, with 107bhp per NA litre, better ratio than the Teg, but not quite the 120bhp/na litre of the S2000, however the E46 M3 is much quicker all over the place.

Couple this engine with the V10 of the M5 and I think the question as to who the best engine builders in the world are, gets much more interesting.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
turbo_chronic said:
Im surround by em too mate! :rolleyes:
Currently on the Vtec variety with my mates are a 'Lude Si, an EK Civic Vti with Nos, a EG Civic Vti with TB's, a turbo'd CRX, a track day only Integra Type-R and a Integra Type-R 2004 (same as Accura RSX shape) :D

Any of my mates that don't drive Hondas? Very slim. Any of them that dont ride japanese? You've got to be kidding me! :rolleyes:
Looks like I'll have to fly the Vaux flag meself then!! :eek: lmao
Hey, just noticed you're finally a member! Did you manage to plumb that leather into the astra yet?

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Andy K said:
Honda build Engines. Vauxhalls build Cars
That's kind of true, one thing that does annoy me about Jap cars, the lack of any sort of turning circle, clunk!!

Quick question Andy, where has your unfailing alliegence to Vauxhalls come from?

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
lack of tuning cirlcle lol

get on google and have a look although mainly tuners based in the us/far east exchange rates mean cheap as chip gear :)

when i had the civic i got all my gear from the states and soem brilliant guy on ebay under the name Jap_andy who's based in Japan :)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts