Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically i have an astra sport, puttin my XE lump in the next week or so, but feelin tight and dont wanna pay out for new exhuast, so was wondering how much hassle i'd have if i bought a pipe designed for a gsi? i kno the hanger's on the back box are different

also wondering if i bought a pipe for a 1.8 sport, would that fit up to the XE manifold?

cheers

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
hi keiran I'm donig this too in a few weeks, lol. You need to use the GSi system as it's completey different, but if you havea welder kickign around then you could knock something up.
James

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right, well my plan is to buy a de-cat and mild steel pipe( somehting like ashley) thats for a gsi, then basically try and get it to fit, ive got a mig that should handle mild steel no probs, just wondering whats the difference, i kno the hanger's for the back box are different, anything else?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The bore size of the exhaust may be larger on the GSi system. I'm lucky cause my sport is a 2L XEV already so hangers are right, maybe be easier to get the back box too and weld some hangers in for it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I converted my C18XE engined Astra to C20XE and used all the original system in the end, just cut the long front pipe off the cat and welded a gsi sized front flange and short pipe to the front of the cat. Fits a treat.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right think im understanding, well i need a complete new exhaust ne way as the one i have is useless, so i was just planning on buyin a complete 'astra gsi' exhaust (from ashley) and just adapting that to fit, this shoud work fine shouldnt it?

also ne one else had an ashley pipe, i kno they are loud mutha's but im after the rally slag sound, although a mate of mine has had issues with the fitment

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
MikeT said:
I converted my C18XE engined Astra to C20XE and used all the original system in the end, just cut the long front pipe off the cat and welded a gsi sized front flange and short pipe to the front of the cat. Fits a treat.
The exhust bore is much smaller on the C18XEs so you would be down on power a fair bit. Best place a wanted add for a used GSi system. From Vauxhall, a GSi backbox and centre section costs about £130. You already have a cat replacement, so all you need is a manifold.

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
Maybe I'm getting the backbox price mixed up. I though the c-section yes about £75 and the back box was £35. Is it the other way around maybe?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
MikeWarner said:
The exhust bore is much smaller on the C18XEs so you would be down on power a fair bit. Best place a wanted add for a used GSi system. From Vauxhall, a GSi backbox and centre section costs about £130. You already have a cat replacement, so all you need is a manifold.
The exhaust bore on my C18XE was exactly the same as a GSI.

Before I modified the 18xe cat to put that back on (it had a smaller diameter front section) I used the complete existing pipework and just fitted a GSI cat replacement pipe which fitted exactly with no mods.
The rear box did have a single outlet pipe instead of the GSI rear twin exit but thats all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.